Dropped my GPA my last semester of college.. Should I take additional summer and post bacc classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovemedicine416

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I made a terrible mistake my last semester of college of slacking and not working as hard as I should have.. I got distracted with graduation, post graduation plans, and other things. I ended up with B and B+ in my science classes (Physics and biology lab) ):

They are my first two Bs in my science classes and I am worried about my downward trend in my last semester of college:
1st year GPA: 3.82
2nd year GPA: 3.93
3rd year GPA: 3.94
4th fall: 3.92
4th spring: 3.47 (from Physics and biology lab)

cGPA: 3.85 sGPA: 3.79

My goal is to attend a top medical school, which I am unsure if it's possible anymore.
How bad would this downward trend look to the adcoms? I was also wondering if I should take additional science classes this summer or after graduation to raise my science GPA?

P.S. I am working full time as well
Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

no reason to take postbacc
no reason to take summer class
no reason to mention this in application
every reason to have a beer and relax over this

Hi Gonnif, thank you for the response!
I am still trying to aim for a top school though. I was planning to take extra science classes to raise my gpa to 3.8+. Would it still be possible to get in with 3.79ish science gpa?

Members don't see this ad :)
no matter what you do you will get questions about a single bad term. focusing in a single GPA number will not change that. When you apply, ignore that bad term and calculate your GPA without it for purposes of school selection
Okay thank you so much for your help!

I had a similar situation but more extreme with B+ average in both terms senior year after a 3.9x average. It will not affect your chances at top medical schools. Also, across my interviews only one person commented on my GPA ("you did really well at xx school"). Chill and apply if all the other stuff is in order.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So I made a terrible mistake my last semester of college of slacking and not working as hard as I should have.. I got distracted with graduation, post graduation plans, and other things. I ended up with B and B+ in my science classes (Physics and biology lab) ):

They are my first two Bs in my science classes and I am worried about my downward trend in my last semester of college:
1st year GPA: 3.82
2nd year GPA: 3.93
3rd year GPA: 3.94
4th fall: 3.92
4th spring: 3.47 (from Physics and biology lab)

cGPA: 3.85 sGPA: 3.79

My goal is to attend a top medical school, which I am unsure if it's possible anymore.
How bad would this downward trend look to the adcoms? I was also wondering if I should take additional science classes this summer or after graduation to raise my science GPA?

P.S. I am working full time as well
Thanks everyone!
Your GPAs are high enough that they're unlikely to undergo micro-analysis.