Dropped sport, to EC or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Controlthemoment

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I participated in a D3 sport freshman year (lightly recruited out of HS as part of a state champion 4 man relay team). However, I really struggled to achieve a 3.5 in my specialized engineering studies. I decided to drop the team to focus on my studies and develop other interests outside of year round training. The decision was a sound one as I achieved a 3.9 Soph year and was elected VP of a 34 person club. Should I include my sports involvement as an EC or does it point to a weakness, that I struggled to earn good grades while training 3-4 hours a day? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is ok to include it. Plenty of people drop their sport for a host of reasons after freshman year or even before that. Keep your GPA up and you'll be just fine.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree. Include it. If anything it puts your freshman grades in some context as you will post the number of hours you engaged in the sport. Many applicants drop athletics after freshman year although if I had to bet, I would have expected your sport to be rowing rather than track (or swimming?).

Thanks for the responses and encouragement...I've got to go clean up my spilled breakfast after reading LizzyM's response (To remain anonymous, I will admit my sport involved water lol).