dropping a class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adonis4.0

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
whats poppin everyone....

I have been quoted as saying i will get an A in cal 2. It isnt gonna happen, took the second test and pulled a 51, a test i actually studied for. Combine that with the 58 i got on the first test and the A is but a distant memory. I am seriously considering droppin the class. I originally registered for it because i was a double major in chem/bio. Now ive changed to bio/english with a chem minor. Cal 2 was needed for the chem major..but now i dont need it...it will be my first and last drop. Im affraid of pullin a C, which i cant really afford. If i drop cal will it look horribly bad on my transcript. I know they are very much frowned upon, but i C seems worse to me when it comes to gpa. Currently with cal im takin 20 hrs, if i drop that knocks me down to 16, which is a relatively low course load in my opinion...im not sure what to do....

the moral of the story....if i drop cal 2, will i be scarred permanently or could it be overlooked?

Members don't see this ad.

When you say "drop," do you mean withdraw? If you can still drop the class without penalty (i.e. without a "W" appearing on your transcript), then by all means drop it. If not...I think it's supposed to be okay to have one W on your transcript, although not great. I guess that's better than a C or D. Are you sure you couldn't get help and possibly pull a B?

I may be wrong, but isn't a score in the 50s an F rather than a C? If you withdraw with an F or a D in the class, I think it goes on your transcript as a WF rather than just a W. You might try to pull that grade up to a passing one before dropping the class, for the sake of your transcript.

Members don't see this ad :)
my prof knows he teache his class hard and has agreed to give the students up to a certain date (need to check the syllabus) to drop with a DP, drop pass, regardless of their test scores...which tells me it only gets harder...lol

About pullin a B, i think i might be able to, but his tests arent really what he covers in class....ive never struggled in math, though ive never had to learn math from a book.

I think I would drop it. I'm pretty sure most med schools only require one semester of calculus. If you want to work your a** off and stress out and try to pull a B, go for it. But if the prof will let you drop with a DP then I'd do it.