semideadperson

Semideadperson
10+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2004
Houston, TX
Status
I am a junior in biomedical engineering.I am taking 6 classes this semester and I'm doing research. I just got back my first test for my Intro to Computing class, and I did very poorly (a low C).

I added the class last minute because I thought it
would be easy and I could get a requirement out of the way so I would have
less to take next year, but now I'm thinking of dropping it. How would
that affect my chances of getting into medical school. The class grades on
a strict curve, at which I am at the lower end. I am pretty sure I can
pull my grade up to a B if I study hard, but there is still a chance I
will get a C. This is a minor requirement for me, and I can easily fulfill
it after I apply to med school (second semester senior year).

I was just wondering how that would look on my application. Should I stay and go for a B or take the W. I am pretty sure I can pull off a 4.0 if I drop it, and I will have one more afternoon per week to do research, but if a W is that bad on my transcript, I would rather tough it out for the remainder of the course.

Thanks very much for your advice.

Code Brown

Low man on the totem pole
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2004
Florida
Status
Attending Physician
semideadperson said:
I am a junior in biomedical engineering.I am taking 6 classes this semester and I'm doing research. I just got back my first test for my Intro to Computing class, and I did very poorly (a low C).

I was just wondering how that would look on my application. Should I stay and go for a B or take the W. I am pretty sure I can pull off a 4.0 if I drop it, and I will have one more afternoon per week to do research, but if a W is that bad on my transcript, I would rather tough it out for the remainder of the course.

2 or 3 W's are fine, especially with the load you now have. I would drop the class if it will make your life a lot easier. The only classes that they get skeptical about having W's in are your pre-reqs, but even then, a W or 2 would be fine.

tinkerbelle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2003
Neverland
Status
Attending Physician
Go ahead and drop it. Having a W on your transcript isn't the end of the world. Lots of us BMEs have W's or less than stellar grades in some courses. Plus, if you can actually pull off a 4.0 this semester, it will look awesome :) Junior year is tough.

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Medical Student
semideadperson said:

If you're already semidead, I'd definitely drop it. Believe me I've been in your exact situation (except not research but other time-consuming activities) and it never gets better. I didn't end up dropping any courses despite even the dean recommending me to; however in retrospect it weould have made my life much easier. A 4.0 would be awesome and you can always take the course over the summer if you still want to get it out of the way. Best of luck.