Dropping a Lab for the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stanfordhereiam

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all~

So I'm thinking of withdrawing from a lab class because I am not having enough time studying for the MCAT. I'm testing in May. Does it look bad if I get a W on my transcript? Currently in the lab class I have a 97, so it's not like I am failing the class...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Currently in the lab class I have a 97, so it's not like I am failing the class...

I would try to stay in the class and keep up the work that you have been doing... especially because you have been thriving.
What the adcom's will see is that you got a W, not that "you had a 97% but dropped it for the sake of studying for the MCAT."
Unless you feel that the class is severely hindering your possible performance on the MCAT, I would try to stick it out.

EDIT: Grammar, spelling

Reactions: 2 users
If you have a 97 right now and think that you can reasonably maintain that for the remainder of the semester, I would recommend staying in the class.

The W - especially if it's your first and will be your only - has next to no bearing on medical school admissions. However, if you're doing well with the workload, I see no reason why you'd waste time and money dropping it and taking it again in a subsequent semester.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all~

So I'm thinking of withdrawing from a lab class because I am not having enough time studying for the MCAT. I'm testing in May. Does it look bad if I get a W on my transcript? Currently in the lab class I have a 97, so it's not like I am failing the class...

Thanks!
No. It's multiple Ws scattered all through your transcript that is bad. This makes it look like you're trying to protect your GPA.

Whats the problem? If u have a 97 just stay in there lol

Guys I got a 498 on my practice test #2, so I'm not doing well at all...

What lab is it? Staying enrolled in it may help you understand experimental techniques that are tested on the MCAT.

Cell and Molecular Lab; I took the lecture portion already
That's just about as high-yield as a lab course can get for the MCAT. I'd say find a different course to drop or postpone your test date.

Guys I got a 498 on my practice test #2, so I'm not doing well at all...

If that is the case, I feel that should be another reason why you shouldn't drop the class. Get the A that you have going right now, and I suggest you postpone your MCAT to take it later on; when you have more time to prepare yourself thoroughly.

If that is the case, I feel that should be another reason why you shouldn't drop the class. Get the A that you have going right now, and I suggest you postpone your MCAT to take it later on; when you have more time to prepare yourself thoroughly.
Agreed, med school isn’t going anywhere. It’s important to be ready for the MCAT and with that kind of score I don’t think the couple hours a week dropping a lab class would give you will make that big a difference.

Reactions: 2 users
Agreed, med school isn’t going anywhere. It’s important to be ready for the MCAT and with that kind of score I don’t think the couple hours a week dropping a lab class would give you will make that big a difference.

Depending on the lab you'd be surprised. Some higher level labs at my school meet twice a week for a lab lecture and then 4 to 5 hours one day for the actual lab. Dropping one of those would open up 6-7 hours a week which would be time for a whole extra practice exam. Of course idk if op's lab is like the ones I described though.

Depending on the lab you'd be surprised. Some higher level labs at my school meet twice a week for a lab lecture and then 4 to 5 hours one day for the actual lab. Dropping one of those would open up 6-7 hours a week which would be time for a whole extra practice exam. Of course idk if op's lab is like the ones I described though.

It is 6 hours a week, sometimes it has gone over as well.