Dropping a Major After Submission/Verification of AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ApoK

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

So, I'm currently applying this cycle. I am triple majoring with a year left. I'm considering dropping my microbio major but keeping the other 2 (one science and one non-science).

My reason for doing this is because I have been given the opportunity to get a first-author publication (possibly even JAMA or N Eng J) if I continue the clinical research I did during my summer internship. I simply won't have time if I do 19 credits each semester and try to go to interviews, while maintaining my GPA.

What should I do and what will happen if I drop a major that I have declared on my AMCAS? I mean, I have a pretty good reason to only get 2 majors. Help me out!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would go for it if it's something that you indeed really want to do. Just explain to them what happened. I don't think anyone is going to call you a slacker for only having two majors. :p

I would go for it if it's something that you indeed really want to do. Just explain to them what happened. I don't think anyone is going to call you a slacker for only having two majors. :p

Slacker.

Members don't see this ad :)
Majors don't matter...they don't care...no need to "update" or anything.

I would caution against dropping it. A dean of admissions came to my school and spoke on this very subject....he said that whatever you put in your AMCAS, you are obligated to fulfill. You are basically promising the school "hey, I haven't graduated yet but I will with this degree". He said they have every right to rescind an acceptance if you don't complete something you said you would

To be on the safe side, contact your schools about this and/or send an update note

I also specifically left out some minors I might be getting for this reason

any chance LizzyM could chime in??? Or someone with ADCOM experience?

Hey Everyone,

So, I'm currently applying this cycle. I am triple majoring with a year left. I'm considering dropping my microbio major but keeping the other 2 (one science and one non-science).

My reason for doing this is because I have been given the opportunity to get a first-author publication (possibly even JAMA or N Eng J) if I continue the clinical research I did during my summer internship. I simply won't have time if I do 19 credits each semester and try to go to interviews, while maintaining my GPA.

What should I do and what will happen if I drop a major that I have declared on my AMCAS? I mean, I have a pretty good reason to only get 2 majors. Help me out!!

Just update it later. Three majors are overkill anyway.

Just update it later. Three majors are overkill anyway.

So when exactly would I update them? Should I call beforehand or should I explain during an interview?

Also, so you're saying, in your opinion, it would be better to focus on the research and dropping the major?

Thanks

So when exactly would I update them? Should I call beforehand or should I explain during an interview?

Also, so you're saying, in your opinion, it would be better to focus on the research and dropping the major?

Thanks

Yeah, no one cares if you had triple majored in college just as long you get a BS or a BA and a high GPA. What has more staying power is a publication. That you can have on your CV and on your credentialing applications till you die.

You can call or update them however you want to update them. Maybe at the interview.

Yeah, no one cares if you had triple majored in college just as long you get a BS or a BA and a high GPA. What has more staying power is a publication. That you can have on your CV and on your credentialing applications till you die.

You can call or update them however you want to update them. Maybe at the interview.

word.