Dropping a major down to a minor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Latteandaprayer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it bad to drop a major down to a minor? It'll show up on my transcript.

I saw the other thread about this from a bit back and the general environment was that it's ok, but the poster's circumstances were more understandable. Mine are that I would have to take summer classes (which I can afford) to graduate on time and I wouldn't be able to pursue other classes I am interested in without feeling guilty and behind.

I'm double majoring in English and cellular biology. The CB major is because I love the field and it's going well. I love English, too, and I majored in it because I thought my backup would be an English teacher/professor, which at most requires an English minor. My university didn't offer an English minor, and they didn't plan on having one when I declared. But now they do (out of no where the English department decided to create one), and I'd prefer to have it as my minor.

Would adcoms look down on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I love English, too, and I majored in it because I thought my backup would be an English teacher/professor, which at most requires an English minor. My university didn't offer an English minor, and they didn't plan on having one when I declared. But now they do (out of no where the English department decided to create one), and I'd prefer to have it as my minor.

Would adcoms look down on this?
If any adcomm ever asked, which they won't, your explanation of the situation makes the change perfectly logical.

Let me pitch this thought and I will try to do so without much fanfare. Dont De-Bass this whole thread with downbeat statements that are out of tune with the rest. The key all of this that we should make measured comments that are in harmony with one another. hopefully my comments werent too sharp for anyone.
You're definitely hitting a sour note there, in fact, you're falling flat.

Reactions: 1 user
Didn't think I was gonna chime in, but this thread is a symbol of SDN posters and advisors orchestrating harmony...

Reactions: 1 users
I had hoped that after so many posts that the OPs question would be resolved...maybe this isn’t the best mode of communication