Dropping Chemistry Major (converting to a minor most likely) to pursue Music?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PanRoasted

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in my sophomore year currently, and I'm considering dropping my chemistry major so that I have room to pursue a vocal performance minor (or major, depending on how much time I have). I haven't been able to check all the performance major requirements, but I assume it's going to be way too time consuming, hence the minor. I am also a molecular cell biology major, finishing up all my core classes after next semester, so if all else fails I definitely won't be major-less. I was also thinking of doing a study-abroad music program, which definitely won't work with a chemistry major at the moment. Is this something that will definitely not hurt my chances of getting into med school period and getting out of my undergraduate on time? Thanks for any and all input.

P.S. I know there's at least one music major or former music major around these forums, so here's hoping that he/she helps me out.

Members don't see this ad.

I was a chemistry major - jazz studies minor. I hated my major but it definately helped for the MCAT. If you really want to do the music then do it up! Your major doesn't really matter when applying to med schools. Just make sure you get good grades in the pre-req's.

So are you planning on dual majoring?

Your major doesn't really matter as long as you make awesome grades in your science classes and medical school pre-reqs. And of course you need to do well on your MCAT, which a science major probably helps you with but it isn't necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
A few questions:
Does your voice performance major have yearly juries to stay in the major?
Is your music school respected/well known/rigorous?

Changing your major won't hurt you in terms of med school admissions given that you can get a good MCAT, but it's going to be really difficult to balance your molec/cell bio major with a music major. It's going to be extremely time consuming to just stay in the major, with the requirements (practices, exams, learning new songs and juries), much less do well in your other major. My suggestion is to minor one, major one, doesn't matter which. Furthermore, if you pick up a music major, chances are you will be staying for more than 4 years.

Sources: personal experience, lots of music major friends (who were ____ but decided to change).

P.S. Any pre-med music major owes it to him/herself to apply to Weill-Cornell just because of their very cool Music and Medicine program.

omg..i never knew about this. I am so sad now.

I would love to do a dual major in MCB and music (mostly for the extra benefits of being in the school of music here), but unfortunately I think that would literally cause me to stay at school for an extra 2 years (i'm not sure how the music curriculum works, but I don't think i'm down to cram 4 years of music classes in to 2 years in any case). As of right now, I will complete my chemistry minor/mcb major next semester and try to pick up as much music as possible after that.
However, I am currently in a dialogue with the head of the music curriculum to see whether or not it would be possible for me to do a vocal performance major.
I also want to find some sort of summer study abroad program focused around vocal performance/music, anyone have any suggestions?

UPDATE:

I've decided to pursue a Bachelor of Music for vocal performance, but that will require that I stay an extra year. I'm also going to finish my molecular cell biology degree, and perhaps my chemistry minor (still debating). However, this means I will have to put a lot of my "scientific" pursuits on the backburner, or at least spend less time on them. Example: I will be able to spend less time in my research lab. Will this look bad on my med school application? I've already devoted a lot of time to research and have a publication coming along, will adcoms be wary to accept a student who has compartmentalized their undergraduate like this? I'll also be doing some clinical volunteering over the break and hopefully over spring break. Thanks.

UPDATE:

I've decided to pursue a Bachelor of Music for vocal performance, but that will require that I stay an extra year. I'm also going to finish my molecular cell biology degree, and perhaps my chemistry minor (still debating). However, this means I will have to put a lot of my "scientific" pursuits on the backburner, or at least spend less time on them. Example: I will be able to spend less time in my research lab. Will this look bad on my med school application? I've already devoted a lot of time to research and have a publication coming along, will adcoms be wary to accept a student who has compartmentalized their undergraduate like this? I'll also be doing some clinical volunteering over the break and hopefully over spring break. Thanks.

Relax. Pursue the degree. You already have research experience which many successful music/humanities majors don't have at all. Your background with a music degree/major will be a good talking point for most schools (coming from my personal experience as a music major this cycle).

Spend your college years following your musical passions as well as preparing for medical school You will likely never the opportunity to devote this much time to musical performance or theory/history studies again.