Dropping dental school for medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InformMe123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current first year dental school and have found that I would enjoy medicine more as a career. I have done well in dental school but it had always been a tough decision for me to choose between the two and now see that medicine is more intellectually stimulating and has more opportunities overall for helping people.

Has anyone done this (or from another professional school) or heard of anyone doing this? How was the experience like switching and applying to medical school?

Would this seriously affect my application? I should also add that I had shadowed many hours in the medical profession in the past before when I was choosing between dental and medical.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
that's tough. I think you'd get a lot of questions about why you didn't realize this until matriculating into dental school. speaking of which.. how did you even realize that medicine was a better choice while being in dental school?

@Goro would probably be able to give you a more realistic view of how adcoms would view this

Reactions: 1 users
Is OMFS not appealing to you? DDS + MD in 6 years + residency. It's the same amount of time it would likely take you to drop out, apply, and matriculate to med school (if that's even a reality).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your biggest problem is convincing an Adcom that you won't bail on Medicine the way you want to bail on DDS.

Gamieg's comment's are also pertinent.

I am a current first year dental school and have found that I would enjoy medicine more as a career. I have done well in dental school but it had always been a tough decision for me to choose between the two and now see that medicine is more intellectually stimulating and has more opportunities overall for helping people.

Has anyone done this (or from another professional school) or heard of anyone doing this? How was the experience like switching and applying to medical school?

Would this seriously affect my application? I should also add that I had shadowed many hours in the medical profession in the past before when I was choosing between dental and medical.

Reactions: 1 user