Dropping Minors on AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

am9451

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was silly enough to list minors on my AMCAS before making absolute sure that I'd follow through on them. Now it seems like I might have to compromise minors to allow time for volunteering in a clinic (which I would enjoy much more).

One minor was psych.. prob not a big deal, but the other was a foreign language, which I hear medical schools look favorably upon? I'd still be taking classes, but I think I'd be one short of the minor.

If I don't follow through on them, do I need to update every school about this? Argh!

Thank you all

Members don't see this ad.

I was silly enough to list minors on my AMCAS before making absolute sure that I'd follow through on them. Now it seems like I might have to compromise minors to allow time for volunteering in a clinic (which I would enjoy much more).

One minor was psych.. prob not a big deal, but the other was a foreign language, which I hear medical schools look favorably upon? I'd still be taking classes, but I think I'd be one short of the minor.

If I don't follow through on them, do I need to update every school about this? Argh!

Thank you all

Don't worry about it. My sister actually changed her major after getting into med school. Med schools did not care, so why would they care about dropping minors. Plus they really do not really care to much about minors anyway...

I think...

Members don't see this ad :)
At worst at an interview they'll ask "So how about that Obscure Subject minor?" or something, and you can quickly mention you lost interest.

Register for five majors and then after you're in drop all except one. Thats the way to go.

Med schools really don't care about minors. (They don't even care that much about majors.) They care about: 1. your overall GPA and MCAT score;
2. your science GPA; and 3. (maybe) what specific courses you took. So I wouldn't worry about this at all.

Register for five majors and then after you're in drop all except one. Thats the way to go.

Is it strange that the thought had crossed my mind? (A little late in the game for me, given that I'm in grad school, but nevertheless...)