Dropping non major class for a W???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Featherfy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently considering dropping a 2 credit hour class....on dinosaurs...mostly because i got a C+ on the first midterm and the second midterm falls next week, a day before my Computer Science midterm (4 credit hour class)

I'm currently in: Ochem1, Software 1, Dino, Anthro, Classics

Anthro and Classics are GE courses, Ochem1 is a major course (microbiology major), and Software 1 is for a CS minor and is also practically a helpful requirement for me to get into a grad program for bioinformatics/computational biology so I really need it.

I got a C- on the first CS midterm, and the next one is going to be much harder, and I have to do VERY VERY well on it.

Background: I got a 2.82 my first semester and a 3.58 my second semester leaving me to end my freshman year with a 3.25. I'd like to raise that to a 3.4 by the end of this semester. So I took the dinosaur class becasuse it seemed interesting and a nice GPA booster. And this could have worked out except for the fact that the midterms fall on the days before or after my more important classes. I have one week to drop this class, but I will end up with a W on my transcript.

I already have a C (from calc 2) so there's already a blemish. Dinosaurs is not related to any major or minor, it is just a fun class. Will dropping it mean anything to Grad admissions?? I'm worried it would show that I can't handle a 2 cr hr class or something. I don't know. I like it, but I just don't know what to do. Because it could mean I may end up failing the second CS midterm.

Unfortunately, next Thursday I have the Dino midterm and an ochem quiz, and next friday I have the CS midterm and a rather lengthy/important Anthro debate. So I have A LOT to do this weekend in ADDITION to homeworks throughout the week.

Would dropping it harm me and show me as incompetent in academics and scheduling??? Is the W worth it?

I haven't completely decided on med school...still iffy...but whether I decide on MD, Grad School, or an MD/PhD....how can this hurt me?

Members don't see this ad.

W doesn't hurt you. In some interviews you will be asked to explain why you dropped, but that's it. Getting a D/F is much worse.

A W salvages your GPA and will not be questioned unless you have many. I never got asked a single time about my W in my interviews, which I had a handful of. There are simply far more important things to discuss in an interview, and far more relevant metrics to how competitive you are as an applicant.

It sounds like you need better time management, though. If you're using "too many finals on one set of days" as an excuse, it likely means you were too lackadaisical in your studies or you weren't being efficient with your time. Efficiency is critical to doing well in graduate/professional school, and invaluable to keeping a high GPA in undergrad. I would focus on that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
One W won't kill you. I withdrew from an upper-level biology course (a non-major course for me) because I was on the edge of C+/B- and was finishing my senior thesis/taking the most difficult classes of my major. I certainly could have stuck in it and pulled a B, but I felt like it was more reasonable to withdraw and focus on more important parts of my semester.

I've received 4 MD interviews and it hasn't come up on any of them.

I would drop it at this point. The occasional W doesn't hurt you at all - it only becomes a problem when you have them popping up almost every semester, because then you look like you're "cooking the books" on your GPA. Just say you overestimated the appeal of ancient, smelly protobirds. =P

Also, don't be ashamed to talk to academic services for tutoring or something. It kinda looks like you're struggling with undergrad course loads, but one or two hours with a tutor a week may be all you need to return to what I'd guess is a high school career of excellence.

I'm currently considering dropping a 2 credit hour class....on dinosaurs...mostly because i got a C+ on the first midterm and the second midterm falls next week, a day before my Computer Science midterm (4 credit hour class)

I'm currently in: Ochem1, Software 1, Dino, Anthro, Classics

Anthro and Classics are GE courses, Ochem1 is a major course (microbiology major), and Software 1 is for a CS minor and is also practically a helpful requirement for me to get into a grad program for bioinformatics/computational biology so I really need it.

I got a C- on the first CS midterm, and the next one is going to be much harder, and I have to do VERY VERY well on it.

Background: I got a 2.82 my first semester and a 3.58 my second semester leaving me to end my freshman year with a 3.25. I'd like to raise that to a 3.4 by the end of this semester. So I took the dinosaur class becasuse it seemed interesting and a nice GPA booster. And this could have worked out except for the fact that the midterms fall on the days before or after my more important classes. I have one week to drop this class, but I will end up with a W on my transcript.

I already have a C (from calc 2) so there's already a blemish. Dinosaurs is not related to any major or minor, it is just a fun class. Will dropping it mean anything to Grad admissions?? I'm worried it would show that I can't handle a 2 cr hr class or something. I don't know. I like it, but I just don't know what to do. Because it could mean I may end up failing the second CS midterm.

Unfortunately, next Thursday I have the Dino midterm and an ochem quiz, and next friday I have the CS midterm and a rather lengthy/important Anthro debate. So I have A LOT to do this weekend in ADDITION to homeworks throughout the week.

Would dropping it harm me and show me as incompetent in academics and scheduling??? Is the W worth it?

I haven't completely decided on med school...still iffy...but whether I decide on MD, Grad School, or an MD/PhD....how can this hurt me?

Drop it; W is not a problem.

Well. somehow managed to pull through and got an A on both CSE and Dinosaurs. So looks like I still have an pretty good chance at the grades I wanted.

Drop it and get a W. It won't be an issue.

A>B>W>C>D>F

Reactions: 1 user