Dropping out of Law School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theavrock

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

As the thread suggests I am currently a first year law student considering dropping out to pursue podiatry.

As background, in undergrad I was pre-pod for some time. Took all of my required classes (except O-Chem), shadowed a pod etc. Ultimately life happened and I was sidetracked, ending up in law school for reasons that I fully admit were not the best.

It may be a case of the grass is greener, but I am really regretting the decision to attend law school and am thinking of dropping out.

I actually enjoy learning about the law and the material, but the employment situation is bleak and not looking to be any better. I am at a strong regional school, but not a "top school" and the prospect of coming out without a job is very real.

As to why pursuing pod again, I love science and really miss that side of learning. I also feel called to a profession of helping people live better lives. Law as a profession does not give me that same feeling. I do not need to make a ton of money to be happy, but being able to live comfortably and pay off student debt is obviously something that is a factor. The prospect of getting a job itself is rough, much less one that would allow for comfortable life and paying off debt.

I have committed to law for the rest of this semester and likely the summer. My main question is how would pod schools view dropping out of law school? I figure it will take two years before I can apply so I can take O-chem and study for the MCAT. This should give me more time to shadow/volunteer and build a strong application.

My other question is what is the job market for new pods out there like? The one thing that would stink is investing the time and money in a career change to be wandering down the same path. I have no problem hustling or networking (you have to learn this quick in law school).

Any links, websites or other material that would be helpful are greatly appreciated.

I'll emphasize that I am in the planning stages right now. I in no way have decided one way or another. I am just trying to get some opinions and gather the information I can.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

As the thread suggests I am currently a first year law student considering dropping out to pursue podiatry.

As background, in undergrad I was pre-pod for some time. Took all of my required classes (except O-Chem), shadowed a pod etc. Ultimately life happened and I was sidetracked, ending up in law school for reasons that I fully admit were not the best.

It may be a case of the grass is greener, but I am really regretting the decision to attend law school and am thinking of dropping out.

I actually enjoy learning about the law and the material, but the employment situation is bleak and not looking to be any better. I am at a strong regional school, but not a "top school" and the prospect of coming out without a job is very real.

As to why pursuing pod again, I love science and really miss that side of learning. I also feel called to a profession of helping people live better lives. Law as a profession does not give me that same feeling. I do not need to make a ton of money to be happy, but being able to live comfortably and pay off student debt is obviously something that is a factor. The prospect of getting a job itself is rough, much less one that would allow for comfortable life and paying off debt.

I have committed to law for the rest of this semester and likely the summer. My main question is how would pod schools view dropping out of law school? I figure it will take two years before I can apply so I can take O-chem and study for the MCAT. This should give me more time to shadow/volunteer and build a strong application.

My other question is what is the job market for new pods out there like? The one thing that would stink is investing the time and money in a career change to be wandering down the same path. I have no problem hustling or networking (you have to learn this quick in law school).

Any links, websites or other material that would be helpful are greatly appreciated.

I'll emphasize that I am in the planning stages right now. I in no way have decided one way or another. I am just trying to get some opinions and gather the information I can.

Law degree + DPM/DO/MD degree = bank. Insurance companies will love you, patients will hire you for malpractice suits, and you can still practice medicine.

obviously thats a lot of school though...

Admissions are rather easy and the job market is growing. Sorry I dont have a detailed answer for your Q's.

Just about any professional degree will give you better prospects than a law degree at the moment, especially considering the competition, and that there are only 9 schools to supply a growing population in need of foot care.

If we don't grab the market, someone else will, and it's much easier to hold on to a slice of the pie than it is to grab one from someone else.

I think they may not look so favorably on someone dropping out of one professional school to another, but considering the someone dire situation we have regarding our applicant pool, the fact that you were qualified for law school will likely give you enough of a leg up on many candidates. You also have a taste of what grad school is like, which is a big deal (unless that's why you're dropping out...), and shows that you've learned a bit how to study efficiently and perform to standards (how did you do in law school, by the way?) that are much higher than undergrad studies.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Dropping out of law school might work in your favor. You can say that you realized it wasn't the profession for you, and you realized that your true calling was podiatry and medicine.

What law school do you go to (don't actually answer)? If you aren't in a top school, you'll make more money as a podiatrist than a lawyer anyways, so you've always got that going for you. Take o-chem this summer (night classes), take the MCAT in september (if you're dropping out of law school, your grades can suffer a little) and get your application in by October and you'll have a seat for the Fall 2013 class. Hell, you could even take the MCAT in january, take orgo next fall and still have a seat for fall 2013.

Thanks for the replies all. I am not at one of the top schools. I am what would be considered a strong regional school. Think state school, flagship university etc. The prospect of graduating with a substandard job or no job is real.

I did ok first semester. Right around median.

It just seems hard to find information as to how podiatry is doing and the future of the profession. I am not keen on taking the school's information at face value given that their objective is to fill their classes (same problem as law schools).

I've also read about impending residency shortages for the profession which sounds vaguely familiar ie: too many grads, not enough work etc.

Also as to the DPM + JD = bank. Is that really true? From the little research I've done it seems that the two are completely useless to each other.

Also as to the DPM + JD = bank. Is that really true? From the little research I've done it seems that the two are completely useless to each other.

Ya i am pretty sure being a JD/DPM would be a giant waste of money. Tons of loan money, when you can really only practice law or podiatry. You really can't do both efficiently. Do you have your own Pod clinic? Do you work at a law firm? Can't really have your feet in both worlds and still be an effective clinician.

From looking through some of "Law2Doc"s threads (switched form law to medicine) it doesn't seem like the worlds really mesh together well. If you want to do malpractice suits, you can still do that as a regular JD. If you want to do expert witness, you can still do that as a regular DPM.

Sorry for the random intrusion into your guys forums.

Yea that's what I have seen for the most part. No worries for the intrusion at all.

Still interested if anyone has additional insight.

I have a family friend who has an MD and a JD. He is so successful its ridiculous. Maybe its not the norm, and I am wrong... but there is a market if you fall into it.

Do all research before some random online poster says something is true, however... Yeah

I have a family friend who has an MD and a JD. He is so successful its ridiculous. Maybe its not the norm, and I am wrong... but there is a market if you fall into it.

Do all research before some random online poster says something is true, however... Yeah
Totally agreed. I was actually more curious about thoughts on the podiatry market in general/residency shortage etc. and how schools might view dropping out of law school v. finishing and then applying.

It may not be an issue, but if it is an issue its because you are a "question mark" who lacks commitment. I've skimmed the other forums on here a few times and that's the standard answer to individuals leaving graduate law and pharmacy programs chasing MD. I believe an individual on here who quit DPT school to apply to POD indicated she was questioned at length in detail about why she was leaving DPT for pod.

Totally agreed. I was actually more curious about thoughts on the podiatry market in general/residency shortage etc. and how schools might view dropping out of law school v. finishing and then applying.

The residency shortage will likely be cleared up by the time you apply for one. It isn't as big of a deal as some make it out to be, anyway. No, there is not an exact ratio of pod grads to residencies, but that is just the competitive nature of medicine. More residencies are projected since the APMA hired someone to facilitate residency genesis full time, plus we got GME funding this past year, and more directors may be willing to create more slots with the new standardization of residency programs (all 3 years and surgical).

From a post-residency perspective, podiatry has a much brighter outlook than law. We are a small field battling a huge, seemingly unstoppable epidemic (diabetes), a large number of podiatrists are expected to retire within the first 5-10 years of you starting practice, and more and more multispecialty and orthopedic groups are hiring podiatrists as our role in the health care system continues to gain momentum and become more mainstream (also due to the new residency model/standard).

I highly doubt your transition from law to podiatric medical school will hurt you if you sell it right, and isn't that what lawyers are good at? Strongly consider this move b/c I personally don't know anyone unhappy in the field, and all my classmates and I are very excited about our futures and love school.

Good to hear about the residency situation. As a law student any mention of shortage of jobs makes my heart immediately begin racing.

Madura your post is essentially what the little voice in my head has been saying consistently over the last few months.

Hahaha they questioned the crap out me about why I left DPT school to pursue pod school, had interviews everywhere I applied and got into all of the places I applied. Just be confident in your answers and you will be fine. Don't know if you were referring to me, but I am a guy lol