Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Dropping out of Master's Program- Bad Idea?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Osteopathic [ DO ]' started by yogaGirl323, 09.29.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. yogaGirl323

yogaGirl323

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Hey guys! So I have 3 acceptances so far and I couldn't be happier. I am currently enrolled in a Master's program in Nashville, and although I do love it, I am paying for it all on loans (around 30K total) and someone in my program asked me "why would you finish the program if you're already accepted?". I realized if I drop out at the end of the semester, that'll save me 15K in loans and I'll be able to work full-time instead of part-time and save up some money for the big move to med school in August. I already have all my pre-reqs for med school completed so I don't technically NEED this program.

The PROS:
    - I'll be starting a research project in neurodevelopment with a possible publication opportunity. (possible residency match help?)
    - I'll take classes that will help me for medical school.
    -Finishing what I started.

The CONS:
    -15K more in loans.
    -Can't work full-time.
    -Not a lot of time to relax my brain before med school.

The questions:
    Will this change the decisions of any schools that have already accepted me? I am planning to have a final decision made by at least the end of October so the rest of my applications will be withdrawn by then (no spring interviews)
    Will this look bad for the distant future? (i.e. residency placement)

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. yogaGirl323

yogaGirl323

@Goro Could you comment about if you've ever seen this done before and how your school took it? Thanks!

4. Awesome Sauceome

Awesome Sauceome SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

I mean the money is awesome but honestly the value of a good break is probably the biggest factor in this. I could not possibly imagine going to med school straight out of grad school or even undergrad for that matter. I would need at least a semester or year to relax the brain and be normal for a bit.

LA1004 and AlteredScale like this.
  5. nontrad78

nontrad78 2+ Year Member

Best to check with each school you're considering. I think for many, the presumption is that you'll complete the degree prior to matriculation. Some programs can be continued after starting med school (eg MPH), but I've always been told that if it's a stand alone program (MS or MA) then it's expected you'll be done before starting. Maybe some acceptances hinge on the idea that the student will have a masters upon entry.

hallowmann and AlteredScale like this.
  6. hallowmann

hallowmann 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This is true, and even in the case of the MPH program, you can usually only do this if your MPH is at the school you're attending next year for med school. Obviously there are exceptions.

OP, your acceptances are dependant upon you completing the degree program you were in when you were accepted. In other words, you completing the Masters was taken into account and it was expected that you'd complete the program when they decided to accept you.

That all said, its up to each school whether or not they would rescind the offer. If I were you, I'd do what nontrad78 said and check with each school. Explain that the issue is strictly a financial one, and maybe they'll say it's fine.

7. CUNYguy

CUNYguy The City Kid 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  8. osteohack10

osteohack10 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This actually came up at an ACOM interview - the Dean of Students said flat out that they don't give a crap if you complete your master's, but you bet if you're still in undergrad you're going to finish that bachelor's (yes… people honestly asked if they could drop out of undergrad after they were accepted). It may not be the same for all schools and I would check, but I definitely see the value in taking some time off. And congrats on the acceptances, that is awesome!

yogaGirl323 likes this.
  9. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    I would never hear about it unless the student told me after she matriculated. I can't see any harm in dropping out, the Op has demonstrated that she can handle medical school by both her IIs and acceptances. So OP, go for it!

10. costales

costales 2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Do you own a dependable vehicle that can last you through residency? If not, I'd get that rather than a master's degree.

stickshifthonda and wxman393 like this.
  11. yogaGirl323

yogaGirl323

So I called all my schools so far-
    LMU & SOMA said they didn't care what I did about my master's program
    KCUMB said it wouldn't affect anything but they don't recommend it because I might lose my mojo for school

What seems to be the general consensus is that as long as I don't have a conditional acceptance that is contingent on completion of the master's, it doesn't matter.

Thank you guys for all your help! :biglove:

LA1004 and nontrad78 like this.
  12. Awesome Sauceome

Awesome Sauceome SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

"might lose my mojo for school."

How about "might burn out because I have been in school for the past 20 something years of my life."

osteohack10, LA1004 and yogaGirl323 like this.

About the ads