Other OT-Related Information Dropping out of OT School in a Trump Era?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTwannabe3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm currently in my first semester of OT school and I LOVE the program and I'm doing fine so far. However, every time I turn on the news it makes me question my career choice.

I'm absolutely TERRIFIED of what will happen to the rehab profession if medicare and medicaid get cut by as much as whats currently stated. I've already read about peds clinics in texas going out of business because of medicaid cuts in TX. Predictions are already coming out that many nursing homes will go out of business due to these cuts.

Even if this bill doesn't pass the senate, congress will most likely repeal the ACA which is something more republicans will get on board with.

Any thoughts from those in the profession??

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys,

I'm currently in my first semester of OT school and I LOVE the program and I'm doing fine so far. However, every time I turn on the news it makes me question my career choice.

I'm absolutely TERRIFIED of what will happen to the rehab profession if medicare and medicaid get cut by as much as whats currently stated. I've already read about peds clinics in texas going out of business because of medicaid cuts in TX. Predictions are already coming out that many nursing homes will go out of business due to these cuts.

Even if this bill doesn't pass the senate, congress will most likely repeal the ACA which is something more republicans will get on board with.

Calm down! OT is one of the most stable jobs out there. If it comes to it, the COTAs and the OTAs will go before us. Billing and evals are crucial for facilities. You should look into your individual state and how there budgeting is situated. I live in Illinois so it is difficult to justify going to Chicago State Uni.

The Trump era is just that. The Trump era. Once he's gone, everything will make sense again in time. The whole world thinks it's a joke. It's temporary.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

Idk man. A lot of snf rehabs are reimbursed by medicare and commercial. Am I wrong?

It's okay, if Trump doesn't get impeached, we can turn things around in 2020. We just need to canvass, vote, and advocate!

I'm starting my first semester and I wouldn't DREAM about dropping out of a profession I'm in love with just because of who's in office. There were still employed OTs before ACA and there will be employed OTs with whatever is brought in. And as mentioned, COTAs and OTAs will be gone first. When are you graduating? He may be out before you even get your first job.

For what it's worth, I also work part-time with a company heavily involved with the autistic population and although its for-profit, meaning healthcare doesn't affect the prices, many of my coworkers do work in offices with insurance. They don't seem to worried about it at all. I wouldn't be either. Especially considering how long it takes to get something like this in motion (think of how long it took to get ACA active, a lot of it didn't go 100% into effect until like 2 years ago. I took a class on it and was very surprised how slow these things are), as well as many republicans saying they would not back the healthcare reform in its current state.

So don't panic!