Dropping out of premed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrFelix

The Doctor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a premed student who has a hostile environment around him. Currently, I am tempted to drop out of premed to pursue engineering (even though I am bad at maths) due to the environment around me (I want to move ASAP to a city like London, NYC, etc. due to the hostility of people around me.)

Let me explain,

If I drop out of premed, and pursue engineering instead, I'll have to wait just for four-five years to get a job,
My dad is going to retire in less than seven years. But if I pursue the medical path (which I would love to), it'll take nine-ten years for me to get a job. I was supposed to be the breadearner when my dad retires, but med school just takes too long. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy biology, psychology, medicine, etc. I hate maths, but if I pursue engineering I definitely have to use maths and think logically.

I feel VERY, VERY, VERY, VERRYYYYYYYYYY, insecure in my hometown. That's why I want to get a job early and move on (both literally and metaphorically.) If I become a computer engineer, I may not love my job but I may be safe and sound somewhere in the world. If I pursue medicine, I will love my job but I will have to survive a very hostile environment. Even if I move to another city for medical education, my loved ones will still be in my hometown and they will have to face the hostile environment around them alone. That's not what I want.

So what do you think, should I pursue a computer engineering course and possibly not enjoy my job but still be safe and sound and get a job way quicker or should I just pursue medicine, enjoy my job, but take a longer and more treacherous path? I might have become a computer engineer if my maths was good, but it's terrible but I want a job quickly, and I may not enjoy my job as opposed to medicine where I will get a job terribly late but will surely enjoy my job? (And I love biology, I am good at it, damn good. That includes organic chemistry.)

What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Well.

It seems like you have little to no patience. But medicine is a career which requires patience. I, personally, would much rather choose a career that I will enjoy, rather than settle for something I won't enjoy because I want to "move out" or get a job quicker. But hey, that's just me.

Well.

It seems like you have little to no patience. But medicine is a career which requires patience. I, personally, would much rather choose a career that I will enjoy, rather than settle for something I won't enjoy because I want to "move out" or get a job quicker. But hey, that's just me.
I may sound impatient but the environment around me doesn't nurture my talents. I love medicine although.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you love medicine, you should want to pursue it!

If you really need a career before you could get through med school I would strongly advise you stay away from engineering. The way you talk I doubt your ability to excel and put in the long hours that most engineers have to early in their career.
It sounds like you'd be a candidate for early burn out in engineering.

I'm a little lost in your situation because your post history and signature don't add up. It sounds like you are currently not in the US and want to be here but couldn't. Is this correct? Because the situation depends on where you are and where you want to pursue medicine + eventually practice.

I may sound impatient but the environment around me doesn't nurture my talents. I love medicine although.
But I don't want to live a life like I am living right now for so long (until I get a job.)

If you really need a career before you could get through med school I would strongly advise you stay away from engineering. The way you talk I doubt your ability to excel and put in the long hours that most engineers have to early in their career.
It sounds like you'd be a candidate for early burn out in engineering.
I am ready to put in long hours for engineering, but I just don't like pure math. I am ready to give it what it takes, but I kind of don't want to sacrifice medicine either. And certainly not become a biomedical engineer.

But I don't want to live a life like I am living right now for so long (until I get a job.)

You're ignoring the fact that medical school itself, is a job. And a full-time one at that. Not to mention, once you finish the first 4 years and become a resident, you get another full-time job. But with benefits!

I am ready to put in long hours for engineering, but I just don't like pure math. I am ready to give it what it takes, but I kind of don't want to sacrifice medicine either. And certainly not become a biomedical engineer.

Engineering isn't pure math. Last I checked, it doesn't involve concepts from abstract algebra, differential geometry, real analysis, topology etc. It's basically applied math with a lot of calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations.

I'm a little lost in your situation because your post history and signature don't add up. It sounds like you are currently not in the US and want to be here but couldn't. Is this correct? Because the situation depends on where you are and where you want to pursue medicine + eventually practice.
That's correct, yes, I live in India. If I don't drop out of my premed, it will take nine years for me to get licensed.

Last edited:
I strongly suggest moving out and moving far away from your current environment for school. And then doing whatever YOU want.

It's unfair for your father to retire and then put all the financial expectations onto you.

Reactions: 1 users
Engineering isn't pure math. Last I checked, it doesn't involve concepts from abstract algebra, differential geometry, real analysis, topology etc. It's basically applied math with a lot of calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations.
I suppose engineering is just like physics. I know a bit of computer programming already (self-taught) but I suck at algorithms.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean this with all due respect:

As someone who doesn't like math or algorithms - you want to go into computer science? or engineering? As someone, who's done an engineering degree and worked as one, I wouldn't suggest that as your alternative to medicine. There are easier paths, albeit not as secure as CS or engineering, but easier to achieve quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I strongly suggest moving out and moving far away from your current environment for school. And then doing whatever YOU want.

It's unfair for your father to retire and then put all the financial expectations onto you.
If I move out far away from my environment, I will certainly pursue medicine instead of engineering.

Last edited:
That's correct, yes, I live in India and I wish to live in somewhere like NYC, L.A, California. If I don't drop out of my premed, it will take nine years for me to get licensed.

I don't know how premed in India works. The best way is to somehow move to US and pursue medicine here.

I suppose engineering is just like physics. I know a bit of computer programming already (self-taught) but I suck at algorithms.

It just requires practice, discipline and motivation. But you really have to commit yourself into it to do well.

I mean this with all respect:

As someone who doesn't like math or algorithms - you want to go into computer science? or engineering? As someone, who's done an engineering degree and worked as one, I wouldn't suggest that as your alternative to medicine. There are easier paths, albeit not as secure as CS or engineering, but easier to achieve quickly.
I know applied programming (I could write a forum software) so I thought my background could help me me in CS/CE?

I don't know how premed in India works. The best way is to somehow move to US and pursue medicine here..
I cannot move to a different state, let alone the USA. Maybe if I burn myself out, achieve an around 98-98% score in my premed, beg my parents, uncles and every single relative, I might get to pursue medicine in the USA.

Why not just have your family move out of your town and your father can commute to work? My family lived in some pretty crappy neighborhoods but we moved around constantly to try and avoid it. The town we lived in got worse and worse until we just left eventually and my parents had a longer drive to work but we felt like we were in a much safer environment. I'm not exactly sure where your family is at financially so this may or may not be an option. I also am not accustomed to how it is culturally accepted in India so my situation may not apply to you. That being said if you feel so unsafe, why not look for a better place?
Also are you interested in pursuing medicine for the money or are you interested in helping people? And are you trying to go to medical school within the United States or India?

Why not just have your family move out of your town and your father can commute to work? My family lived in some pretty crappy neighborhoods but we moved around constantly to try and avoid it. The town we lived in got worse and worse until we just left eventually and my parents had a longer drive to work but we felt like we were in a much safer environment. I'm not exactly sure where your family is at financially so this may or may not be an option. I also am not accustomed to how it is culturally accepted in India so my situation may not apply to you. That being said if you feel so unsafe, why not look for a better place?
Also are you interested in pursuing medicine for the money or are you interested in helping people?
It's not that simple in my case. We cannot move out just so easily. If it were a viable option we'd have done that eight years ago. I want to live my town and live in a place like Bombay, or even Delhi. But I cannot. Not that my opinion holds any weight currently anyway.

I am much interested in helping people, irrespective of the income (as long as it feeds my stomach.) I am trying to get into med school in India.

Hmm a few things:

1) Don't pursue engineering if you don't want to. Why not pursue a different field that you may enjoy even if not medicine?
2) I'm not sure of your situation in India but I imagine a lot has to do with finances that is keeping you in your environment. Moving to NY, LA, etc will not be any better...in those big cities, life is hard for people who don't make decent money. The movies etc that you see are not reflective of real life.
3) If you pursue medicine in the US, it will be longer than 10 years from now before you get a job, most likely.

I'm aware in a lot of countries such as India the competition is brutal and people do all sorts of crazy things to get every little advantage. Maybe that's what you're referring to as the hostile environment. It may be difficult but one's circumstances are not easy to escape. Cycles of advantages continue and cycles of disadvantages also continue; they are difficult to break. It may require you moving elsewhere, perhaps the U.S., and working your butt off in a field other than medicine to provide a better opportunity for your children who may become physicians, etc.

Either way, education is one of the best vehicles for social mobility. Pursue what you want with vigor. Don't skimp out because of a few extra years that mean little in the grand scheme of life. You have to be tough mentally. Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Hmm a few things:

1) Don't pursue engineering if you don't want to. Why not pursue a different field that you may enjoy even if not medicine?
2) I'm not sure of your situation in India but I imagine a lot has to do with finances that is keeping you in your environment. Moving to NY, LA, etc will not be any better...in those big cities, life is hard for people who don't make decent money. The movies etc that you see are not reflective of real life.
3) If you pursue medicine in the US, it will be longer than 10 years from now before you get a job, most likely.

I'm aware in a lot of countries such as India the competition is brutal and people do all sorts of crazy things to get every little advantage. Maybe that's what you're referring to as the hostile environment. It may be difficult but one's circumstances are not easy to escape. Cycles of advantages continue and cycles of disadvantages also continue; they are difficult to break. It may require you moving elsewhere, perhaps the U.S., and working your butt off in a field other than medicine to provide a better opportunity for your children who may become physicians, etc.

Either way, education is one of the best vehicles for social mobility. Pursue what you want with vigor. Don't skimp out because of a few extra years that mean little in the grand scheme of life. You have to be tough mentally. Best of luck.
Thank you for your reply.

1) It's not like that I hate engineering, it's just that its math is very boring and tedious. But you're right, I'd consider majoring in biochemistry then.
2) My dad makes decent money, but it's the cynical neighbors that I fear the most. It's like I am a caged animal, you know, mental abuse and things I cannot include over this thread. If not in London, NYC then I will go at least for Boston.
3) Then I shouldn't pursue medicine in the US, right?

The competition is indeed cuthroat. I don't know, the people aren't just nice. I might get in trouble for posting this.

If my child is to be the doctor I couldn't, let it be. I think I might just major in microbiology or biochemistry.