Dropping out of WSU BMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virajpatel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I am enrolled in the Wayne State BMS program and have found the first two week very overwhelming. Maybe this is due to the fact that I was a psychology major in undergrad and only took the perquisite courses to apply to dental school. I have 3 days until I can get my tuition refunded and drop the program to perhaps pursue post bacc courses instead. My question is if anyone was in the program with a similar background as me could you please tell me how you overcame the struggles, if there were any? Also, does it reflect poorly on me if I drop the program?

Please provide your feedback as I am really in need of some advice before these 3 days are over.

Members don't see this ad.

Stop being a baby and start studying.

Reactions: 2 users
How will dental schools know that you've dropped out of it?

I don't know anything about the program, but it doesn't seem like it could possibly be anymore difficult than dental school. To echo what the other poster said, you might have to suck it up and camp out in some library. Find a study group. Organize your time well (schedule every hour of your day at the beginning of the week, so you don't spend too much time thinking, "what's next"). Read the book before lecture even. Anything to give yourself an advantage.

Members don't see this ad :)
SMPs vs Post-Bacchs have been discussed ad nauseam on this forum. You can dig around to decide if it would be detrimental for you to drop out of your current program.

Your major is only as much of a hinderance as you perceive it to be. There are numerous examples of individuals succeeding on this forum that did not come from a core science background.

You're the only person who is going to be able to decide if you can hack it in this BMS program. If you don't think you can, then drop out. I think it's that simple. Just remember that dental school is going to be more difficult. If you can't survive an SMP, then why do you think you can successfully complete dental school?

I hope this doesn't come off as too harsh, but I think you need some people to ask you the hard questions. It might save you a lot of time and energy in the long run. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
I understand what you all are saying and I am willing to work hard but what is frightening me is that fact that if I mess up I won't make it to dental school. I see people here with 3.8 and 3.9 in their Master's. I don't see myself coming close to that.

I understand what you all are saying and I am willing to work hard but what is frightening me is that fact that if I mess up I won't make it to dental school. I see people here with 3.8 and 3.9 in their Master's. I don't see myself coming close to that.

There's only so much willpower can do..
If you don't think you are cut out for it, and you are sure, go ahead and drop out of it.

This is something that could open your door to dental school very widely if you succeed, and close it shut very hard if you don't, so it is a huge thing for you.
Go talk to your adviser maybe.

Hey I'm in the same program right now taking BMB 7010 and PSL 7010. You can do it man! Study literally every day as you would in medical or dental school and you will be fine. I got my degree in psychology from Wayne as well. I only took BIO 1 and 2, Micro, Cell, Human Phys, and Biochem.

if you can't excell at a bms program, how could you handle 28 credits/semester in dental school...you have at least 6 hours of free time a day to keep your head above the water in dental school. i'd imagine you have a lot more time in a bms program with less workload...

be honest with yourself. when given the option of chilling out with friends, partying and watching tv or studying, which do you often choose? if you're already giving it your 110%, maybe improve your study strategies or consider another career b4 continuing with the bms and dental school

Last edited:
My friend finished her masters with a 3.2 and got into tufts and accepted into NYU. It's not supposed to be a cakewalk. Say goodbye to your social friends and make new friends in the library. If you want it, then study hard.

Reactions: 1 user
I just feel that post bacc can serve the same purpose and I'm not shying away from doing work its just that I don't feel like I have a strong enough foundation compared to the rest of my classmates and thats what leads me to reconsider. By doing post bacc I would be taking didactic upper level biology courses, none of which will be retakes, all for the first time. And if you think about it most students matriculate into dental school from undergrad, nobody needs a master's to succeed in dental school. Sure you might find it a bit easier but a strong founding in post bacc biology courses can serve the same purpose.

It might be a little harder to get the classes you want as a non-degree seeking student, and I think most schools set limit for the number of hours you can take per semester as an NDS student, right? At least in the master's, you're guaranteed to gain enrollment in the class. I don't think there's any way you can make a schedule that looks as good as the master's.

At Wayne State the same biology classes are offered to me as the rest of the students. So I don't think that should be an issue. I just have to get permission from the professors since its two weeks into the semester.