DrPH during Preventive Med residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FreeRadical

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm entering an MPH program this fall with plans for medical school afterward. After med school, I'd like to do a preventive medicine residency program (which usually includes getting an MPH) but get a DrPH instead. Has anyone heard if that's possible / has been done before?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm entering an MPH program this fall with plans for medical school afterward. After med school, I'd like to do a preventive medicine residency program (which usually includes getting an MPH) but get a DrPH instead. Has anyone heard if that's possible / has been done before?

I'd say call some schools with a DrPH program and ask them.

No. DrPH would require way too much work to do it in conjunction with a residency (unless you don't like sleep!). I suppose you could do it part-time if the school lets you, but very few schools allow doctoral students to enroll part-time. But then you're probably looking at 8+ years to do the degree.

Besides, what's the point of doing a DrPH on top of a MPH on top of a MD? What's your ultimate goal? If you want to practice medicine: MD. If you want to do preventative medicine: MD/MPH. If you want to be a professor of medicine or public health: MD or MD/MPH. If you want to lead a public health agency: MD/MPH. A DrPH wouldn't significantly add anything to your resume except pad the "Education" section. Think long and hard about it.

From my experiences in Guatemala and Haiti, I've found that (sometimes illiterate) people will try to make due with the limited medical knowledge they have. I want to find ways to connect governments of developing countries with the community health workers already practicing there, so they can have standardization for a basic, functional knowledge of modern medicine. Getting the MD is for having some knowledge to share in the first place, and the MPH --> DrPH has the triple function of working with the government, a thorough knowledge of my context, and advocacy in the developed world.