Drug Addiction in Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It just happened here at my program - a fellow resident of mine. and having gone back and reading all the prior posts on this subject I sadly guess it was only a matter of time for me to see something like this. Thankfully the guy in our program is not dead and is not in treatment. It's been a few days since it's come to surface and I've run the gammut from schocked to disappointed to angry and so many other things. I'm sure nothing that the more seasoned of you haven't felt or thought before when dealing with this and so I guess what I'm writing is nothing new (just need a place to vent).

This guy was so totally 'normal' - never would have thought it owuld have been him. But I guess it takes all kinds, eh? I feel bad for the guy but also angry that I he let me down and he let our program down (am I being too much of a hard-a** ?). Also, when the rest of the hospital hears about it I just wonder what others will say/think about the rest of our group of residents - am I gonna be second-guessed by others or looked at differently?

I'm kinda hoping this guy doesn't come back to Anesthesia - just reading some of the stats posted above it really doesn't look like it's in his favour to return to this field - and the last thing I want is to be on call with someone battling this issue only to always be waiting to find his dead somewhere in a call room.

Sounds like I'm being selfish just thinking how it affects me and our program but that's all I got for now. Not having talked to him since he admitted his problem I have no idea what the hell he's going through.

Not a good day at all.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure why you think that the presence of a resident that has a drug problem is going to reflect negatively on you or on the other residents.
You did not make him do drugs did you??

It just happened here at my program - a fellow resident of mine. and having gone back and reading all the prior posts on this subject I sadly guess it was only a matter of time for me to see something like this. Thankfully the guy in our program is not dead and is not in treatment. It's been a few days since it's come to surface and I've run the gammut from schocked to disappointed to angry and so many other things. I'm sure nothing that the more seasoned of you haven't felt or thought before when dealing with this and so I guess what I'm writing is nothing new (just need a place to vent).

This guy was so totally 'normal' - never would have thought it owuld have been him. But I guess it takes all kinds, eh? I feel bad for the guy but also angry that I he let me down and he let our program down (am I being too much of a hard-a** ?). Also, when the rest of the hospital hears about it I just wonder what others will say/think about the rest of our group of residents - am I gonna be second-guessed by others or looked at differently?

I'm kinda hoping this guy doesn't come back to Anesthesia - just reading some of the stats posted above it really doesn't look like it's in his favour to return to this field - and the last thing I want is to be on call with someone battling this issue only to always be waiting to find his dead somewhere in a call room.

Sounds like I'm being selfish just thinking how it affects me and our program but that's all I got for now. Not having talked to him since he admitted his problem I have no idea what the hell he's going through.

Not a good day at all.

Not a good day at all.

I think it is human nature to wonder if and how this will affect you. Cynical people in the hospital may make off handed comments based on this which no one in your department will find funny at all. I doubt it will change anyone's opinion of your department or you and your fellow residents.
I would encourage you and the other residents to continue to support your friend, no matter how much resentment you may feel towards them. They are in a tough place now and will need the support of good friends. I think the worst thing you could do is to cut off communication with them.
Hopefully, your post was a misprint and they ARE in treatment.
Best of luck to your colleague.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like the majority of this thread is about opiate abuse. Is benzo abuse ever a problem with anesthesiologists that gets talk time, or does opiate abuse far outweigh it?

Yes it was a typo - my colleague IS in a treatment program.

And in response to Planktonmd - No, I did not make this guy take drugs but the reason I thought about how this guy's problems would reflect on me/my program is largely due to the stigma that seems to be part of our practice. Perhaps I'm overthinking it and after a few days likely won't be of such a concern to me.

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering has anyone ever heard of nurses getting addicted to Fentanyl? A real good friend of mine actually passed away from an Overdose of Fentanyl a while back. Its so sad and tragic. No one knew they where using and they died at work. It was such a shock! The family didnt know and there rally wasnt any signs. At their wake, one of their coworkers actually told the spouse that the deceased had mentioned something about needing rehab but they didnt think they where serious. Would random drug tests prevent this?

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering has anyone ever heard of nurses getting addicted to Fentanyl?

One of our L&D nurses just got caught diverting fentanyl. That came on the heels of one of our CRNAs diverting just about everything, but mostly Dilaudid. Pretty sad.

Would random drug tests prevent this?

I think it's a mistake to believe that anything can really prevent it. Education probably helps. But everything else we do with drug testing, recordkeeping, witnessed waste/return, chart audits, etc, seems aimed at detecting it when the person inevitably loses control and gets sloppy, or simply needs a quantity that can't be hidden no matter how clever he is.

How much education do they give practicing nurses on addiction and how to detect a coworker? Not to many Hospitals give random drug tests anyway. If they did atleast it might prevent it to an extent. I know if an addict wants drugs they will get them no matter. But besides Anesthesiology, where else do they do random screens?

To be completely honest, It was my fiance. I didnt know she had a drug problem. Trying to accept that she did is so hard. I feel as if Im responsible, partly to blame, I just cant understand why she would do these drugs. I thought we had a great life together. I am not perfect but I treated her very good. There where a couple times I hought something might be wrong and I tried asking her if she was doing anything and she would deny . I really didnt think about how controlled her access to those drugs where. I was nieve , I didnt think it was possible and maybe thought with her knowledge and experience it couldnt happen to her.

To be completely honest, It was my fiance. I didnt know she had a drug problem. Trying to accept that she did is so hard. I feel as if Im responsible, partly to blame, I just cant understand why she would do these drugs. I thought we had a great life together. I am not perfect but I treated her very good. There where a couple times I hought something might be wrong and I tried asking her if she was doing anything and she would deny . I really didnt think about how controlled her access to those drugs where. I was nieve , I didnt think it was possible and maybe thought with her knowledge and experience it couldnt happen to her.

I would suggest a support group for family and loved ones of people with opioid addiction. They exist and would probably be a better source of info than this forum. This thread is concentrated on a very unique situation of anesthesia providers with an addiction. As a lay person, I think you would be much better served getting guidance from a support group or therapist. I wish you the best in recovering from your tragic loss.

Last edited:
sorry for your tragic loss.

you are not to blame - health care professionals are notoriously clever at hiding drug abuse (initially) until things start to unravel - family and work are the last things to go, in that order.

I have been involved with some family groups, but it feels a little different than what they have been through, most if not all of them knew there loved ones have or had an addiction. Her working in the medical field sorta blinded me. I am so hurt and saddened, almost feel a sense of shame on my part and hers. Im embarrassed posting this but her death can not be in vain. Others in the field have to see that this does exist, not just in Anesthesia. This could have been prevented , it must not be swept underneath the rug. Addiction doesnt discriminate and we all need to do what we can so that this doesnt happen to others. What is a life worth? No amount of money can bring her back or make me who I was. I will never forget her and stop loving her. Does everyone know the signs and symptoms of Opiate addiction? I didnt! Are your liscenes at stake if you dont report someone? Please help stop this maddness. Prescription drug overdose deaths are the leading cause of preventable death today. Im not blaming anyone, just looking to prevent one more senseless death.

Many of us are involved with individuals who have behaviors that are kept secret from us. This does not make us in any way culpable for the behaviors. It may be as simple as problems with impulsive/ compulsive shopping or eating to slightly more complex sexual involvement/ addiction, to seriously complex addiction to illicitly obtained substances.

In all likelihood she was involved with illicitly obtained substances long before you came into the picture, and (like many educated addicts) she had an incredible ability to keep that part of her life secret. She probably thought that she had it under control and was looking forward to a long life with you. That is the dangerous illusion of these substances. The reality is, no matter how much she loved you and was fulfilled by you, the substance(s) had a control over her that she never fully appreciated until it was too late.

That being said this is a terrible place to turn to for support. Few (if any) of us have any first-hand experience with what you are going through and we can only be of limited support. My suggestion is to find a physician's health program (addiction treatment program) in your state and look for a family support group through them. Here you will find individuals who are more likely to be in/ have gone through a similar situation where their world came crashing down with their first realization that they have been unknowingly living with an addict for some time.

As far as questions of how it could be prevented in the future etc... I still wonder somewhat as to your motivation for starting a new account on an anesthesia forum in a website for physician's and future physicians. Call me paranoid.

- pod

Considering the time of year, this seems terribly appropriate.

I am sorry for the loss hillbilly has, but things like this need probably need reiteration and examination. We are going to encounter it in one form or another.

Many of us are involved with individuals who have behaviors that are kept secret from us. This does not make us in any way culpable for the behaviors. It may be as simple as problems with impulsive/ compulsive shopping or eating to slightly more complex sexual involvement/ addiction, to seriously complex addiction to illicitly obtained substances.

In all likelihood she was involved with illicitly obtained substances long before you came into the picture, and (like many educated addicts) she had an incredible ability to keep that part of her life secret. She probably thought that she had it under control and was looking forward to a long life with you. That is the dangerous illusion of these substances. The reality is, no matter how much she loved you and was fulfilled by you, the substance(s) had a control over her that she never fully appreciated until it was too late.

That being said this is a terrible place to turn to for support. Few (if any) of us have any first-hand experience with what you are going through and we can only be of limited support. My suggestion is to find a physician's health program (addiction treatment program) in your state and look for a family support group through them. Here you will find individuals who are more likely to be in/ have gone through a similar situation where their world came crashing down with their first realization that they have been unknowingly living with an addict for some time.

As far as questions of how it could be prevented in the future etc... I still wonder somewhat as to your motivation for starting a new account on an anesthesia forum in a website for physician's and future physicians. Call me paranoid.

- pod

I'm with you (last paragraph).