drug induced hallucinations..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjl1717

Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the most common cause of durg induced hallucination in the ELDERLY?

Members don't see this ad.

just a wild guess...

people's sleeping habits typically deteriorate as they grow older... i.e. the older they get, the more likely they'll be taking some sleep medications like ambien (which is notorious for hallucinations)...

Members don't see this ad :)
just a wild guess...

people's sleeping habits typically deteriorate as they grow older... i.e. the older they get, the more likely they'll be taking some sleep medications like ambien (which is notorious for hallucinations)...

Decent extrapolation...[I really dont know, having hard time googling it}

knew LSD or angel dust was coming! {be a little more original}.. Thats why I put elderly in large type!! :)

Hey your twenty-something flower children are now sixty-something grandparents, and I've met plenty of old toothless methheads/crackheads who are fifty going on eighty. Neither would be the most common though, and I've got no better guess than something in the psychotropic realm as the above poster suggested.

Hey your twenty-something flower children are now sixty-something grandparents, and I've met plenty of old toothless methheads/crackheads who are fifty going on eighty. Neither would be the most common though, and I've got no better guess than something in the psychotropic realm as the above poster suggested.

I think its something mind altering also..

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKT3-FdOLYM&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

benadryl (diphenhydramine) is well-known for having anti-muscarinic properties that are particularly pronounced in the elderly, and the resulting delirium can be associated with hallucinations.

pretty sure that the decreased clearance of the drug in the elderly also contributes to some of the problem.

Are we talking just delirium in general or does it have to specifically be hallucinations? Hospitalized patients or just old people in general?

Often times it seems like practically anything can make your elderly hospitalized patients delirious (including what color scrubs the patient's nurse is wearing), but specific drugs you'd want to stop first would be any opioid pain medications and any sedatives. I just don't know if there are particular ones associated with hallucinations.

(I'd also like to say that I'm very thankful to be going into pediatrics and won't have to deal with dementia/delirium)

Are we talking just delirium in general or does it have to specifically be hallucinations? Hospitalized patients or just old people in general?

Often times it seems like practically anything can make your elderly hospitalized patients delirious (including what color scrubs the patient's nurse is wearing), but specific drugs you'd want to stop first would be any opioid pain medications and any sedatives. I just don't know if there are particular ones associated with hallucinations.

(I'd also like to say that I'm very thankful to be going into pediatrics and won't have to deal with dementia/delirium)

Specifically hallucinations and old people in general..