Drug Monograph vs. Drug Class Review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FarmerPharm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an assignment to write a drug class review. I have been given a drug monograph as an example. I know they are two different things, but I don't know where to start on the review.

Can anyone point me to a website that may have information concerning the difference between the two, or what is included in a drug class review? Or, can anyone explain the difference between the two and suggest a starting point?

I feel lost and like I'm grasping at straws here.:scared:

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I have an assignment to write a drug class review. I have been given a drug monograph as an example. I know they are two different things, but I don't know where to start on the review.

Can anyone point me to a website that may have information concerning the difference between the two, or what is included in a drug class review? Or, can anyone explain the difference between the two and suggest a starting point?

I feel lost and like I'm grasping at straws here.:scared:

Thanks

You didn't ask your professor to clarify?
Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Monograph: one drug
Class review: every drug in the class

Hth

Members don't see this ad :)
Clinical pharmacology has some decent drug class reviews that you could use as examples.

I'm feeling charitable today.

In a drug class review, you want to include lots of comparative info - metabolism routes, t1/2, duration, time to peak, interactions, cost, comparative efficacy, side effects, dose (esp comparative doses) indications, etc. Any head to head trials (probably not available, depends on the class). Formulary coverage if applicable. Any sort of info on place in therapy or step therapy. The reviews I see are usually for P&T purposes and include a recommendation for what to include or not to include based on all of the above.

google for VA drug class reviews, I think they probably put some online.

You didn't ask your professor to clarify?
Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Yes, I did. The response I got was that I was right that the example we were given was a monograph, and that it was given to us so we would have an idea of how deep to delve into the review. Otherwise, I was told to look online for how to do a comparative drug class review.

I'm feeling charitable today.

In a drug class review, you want to include lots of comparative info - metabolism routes, t1/2, duration, time to peak, interactions, cost, comparative efficacy, side effects, dose (esp comparative doses) indications, etc. Any head to head trials (probably not available, depends on the class). Formulary coverage if applicable. Any sort of info on place in therapy or step therapy. The reviews I see are usually for P&T purposes and include a recommendation for what to include or not to include based on all of the above.

google for VA drug class reviews, I think they probably put some online.

Thanks for the info. I'll look for the VA Drug class reviews.

What is a P&T?

also try facts and comparisons. it has very useful drug class review