Drug pronunciation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LOLO

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Do you of any drug pronunciation software that you can use to correctly say the drug name?

Thank you for the info

Members don't see this ad.

No, but I do remember how many times I got a phone call when I worked retail from someone who wanted their isorbride, Zorcor, atenol, and Norvasec, and apologized for mispronouncing everything. I always said, "Oh, we know what you mean."

Reactions: 1 users
Doesn't micromedex or lexicomp have a pronunciation tool when you look up a drug?

Members don't see this ad :)
I still crack up at the classic meta-pro-lol instead of meh-toe-pro-lol.

Reactions: 1 user
When I was in school, it was really hard drilled into us about using 'correct' pronunciation of drugs and jargon. It was assumed (incorrectly so), that all pronunciations, used in that school, by that particular set of professors, were correct. In the real world, based upon geographic location and population, pronunciations vary.

e.g. platelet. We were taught plate-let. Others say plat-E-let.
It's like nail in head, when I hear someone use that hard 'E'. Unfortunately, the person that created the word platelet, isn't around to give us the intended correct pronunciation. So who knows?

I've met drug reps. trained by the same company, hawking the same drugs, pronounce the same drugs differently than their coworkers. Unless it obviously is some hybrid pronunciation, (like when I sing a song, I don't know the correct words for, so I make up the words), exercise caution and respect when correcting others.

When I was in school, it was really hard drilled into us about using 'correct' pronunciation of drugs and jargon. It was assumed (incorrectly so), that all pronunciations, used in that school, by that particular set of professors, were correct. In the real world, based upon geographic location and population, pronunciations vary.

It's like nail in head, when I hear someone use that hard 'E'. Unfortunately, the person that created the word platelet, isn't around to give us the intended correct pronunciation. So who knows?

I've met drug reps. trained by the same company, hawking the same drugs, pronounce the same drugs differently than their coworkers. Unless it obviously is some hybrid pronunciation, (like when I sing a song, I don't know the correct words for, so I make up the words), exercise caution and respect when correcting others.

I think one time I was really annoyed with someone pronouncing amikacin wrong. Turned out it was their Caribbean accent messing up the pronunciation.

I like to pronounce ketorolac like "Cadillac" because Im a dork like that.

Hi Guys,

Do you of any drug pronunciation software that you can use to correctly say the drug name?

Thank you for the info

I am unclear about your needs but thought perhaps you could use this. This is not software it is merely a pronunciation guide. Perhaps you could jimmy rig it with quizlet which was just upgraded to speak. :shrug:

http://www.hearinglosshelp.com/drugproguide.htm

I've never heard any variance on that on, always heard plate-let.

I remember during undergrad the school was divided on how to pronounce "ligand." All of the chemistry professors would say "lig-and" and the biology professors would say "lie-gand."

I believe drug pronunciation should be fairly universal though. On our patient info handouts, it gives a phonetic spelling.

My pharmacology professor in school told our class that there was no official way to pronounce drug names and to expect to hear them pronounced differently.

What's jarring to me is hearing drug names pronounced incorrectly by actors playing doctors on television. It instantly takes me out of the show I'm watching.