Nov 27, 2010
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Has anyone had any success in taking supplements like nootropics and actually had them help in preparing for stuff like the mcat/pcat? I have tried doing some research online but most of the stuff seems a lot over the place, from success stories to wasted money.

I am a bit skeptical about most of the stuff since, "If they actually worked, wouldn't we all be eating them by the barrels?"

Sep 2, 2010
Status
Podiatry Student
Has anyone had any success in taking supplements like nootropics and actually had them help in preparing for stuff like the mcat/pcat? I have tried doing some research online but most of the stuff seems a lot over the place, from success stories to wasted money.

I am a bit skeptical about most of the stuff since, "If they actually worked, wouldn't we all be eating them by the barrels?"
Hmmm... your name is Meow Meow CAT and you are posting about drug related studying..... interesting....

ModernAlchemist

Transform and Transcend
10+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2008
Limbo
Status
Medical Student
If you don't have the prescribed condition, it is a HUGE gamble. There are many different medications out there that react differently to the different neurochemistry in each person. Even Psychiatrists have to start by "guessing" and then narrow it down. You do not want to self-prescribe anything.

Kevin Baker

7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]

An ER resident did an AMA on reddit yesterday and raved about choline cocktail. I might give it a try. Most AMAs are fake but this guy seemed to know his stuff. I'll give it a try.

tartrate

10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2007
Status
My thought is if it does anything in any way to make you temporarily smarter while you're on it, then it will make you that much stupider off it. At least until you "detox."

Your body is always trying to maintain homeostasis...best not to mess with something that's not broken.

indygobu

Lifetime student
Sep 22, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Status
Pre-Medical
tartrate, I couldn't have said it better myself. From the pharmacy classes I have taken, you see a huge motif of the same pharmacology -- agonist binds to receptor, activates it, and you get a response. If you overstimulate that receptor it gets "annoyed" and intracellular proteins or factors work to either desensitize the receptor or downregulate the number of receptors present. You then can see a tolerance effect, and if you come off the drug too quickly, you have less overall stimulation of those receptors (and so might decrease your IQ temporarily), and your endogenous neurotransmitters cannot give you a physiologically balanced response. The stimulants that are prescription drugs are prescription drugs for a reason -- the FDA body has decided that a person cannot self-medicate safely with that drug having only a laymen knowledge of the pharmacology and therapy. It can be hazardous.

n3xa

"the anchor"
7+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Sep 2, 2010
Status
Podiatry Student
Don't forget the nicotine too. :p :rolleyes:
Haha. I have been chewing nicorette gum to get a good buzz and reduce the oncogene activation. Scientific? Prob not but I don't have to leave the library to smoke!