Drug test questions: Which schools test? Good privacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AddisonsDx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which DO schools drug test? I know that UNECOM does. I take legitimate prescription amphetamine, will the school keep this information private? Do different schools have different levels of privacy?

This is a throwaway account because I am going to share very private information about myself.

I have Addison's disease and I take Adderall (amphetamine). It's a nice front-rhyme. I also take hormone supplements which obviously won't show up on their drug test, but allow me to not die. You might say "Addison's disease should not be treated with stimulants" to which I say "mind your own damn business". But since I apparently need to justify myself to everyone, I feel very tired all the time. More glucocorticoid does restore my energy, but my endocrinologist feels that I would get cataracts and avascular necrosis if I increased my glucocorticoid dose further, and amphetamine is safer and directly addresses the symptom of fatigue.

I generally try to hide my illness. Even if I need to tell someone that I have Addison's, I generally try to hide my amphetamine prescription. I mean, it is speed, and there is a massive stigma.

So, how is the privacy? These are doctors and they understand confidentiality, right? Will they give me crap because this is an off-label use?

Members don't see this ad.

Schools will test, hospitals will test, clinics will test so get over thinking you might can hide it. You won't, as drug testing is embedded in the med profession. If you have a legitimate prescription and can do the work you'll be ok at most places. Just be honest, as the assumptions can be worse than the truth. Do you want to be at a school that wouldn't be supportive anyway?

Good luck

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Which DO schools drug test? I know that UNECOM does. I take legitimate prescription amphetamine, will the school keep this information private? Do different schools have different levels of privacy?

This is a throwaway account because I am going to share very private information about myself.

I have Addison's disease and I take Adderall (amphetamine). It's a nice front-rhyme. I also take hormone supplements which obviously won't show up on their drug test, but allow me to not die. You might say "Addison's disease should not be treated with stimulants" to which I say "mind your own damn business". But since I apparently need to justify myself to everyone, I feel very tired all the time. More glucocorticoid does restore my energy, but my endocrinologist feels that I would get cataracts and avascular necrosis if I increased my glucocorticoid dose further, and amphetamine is safer and directly addresses the symptom of fatigue.

I generally try to hide my illness. Even if I need to tell someone that I have Addison's, I generally try to hide my amphetamine prescription. I mean, it is speed, and there is a massive stigma.

So, how is the privacy? These are doctors and they understand confidentiality, right? Will they give me crap because this is an off-label use?
Do a Google search on 10 panel drug screens. This will be what you will be taking for your entire medical career. Even undergrad and med school interns need to take a 10 panel drug screen and pass a background check for summer positions in hospitals. I've seen job offers rescinded when people have failed drug screens so get used to it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you have a script they won't hold it against you but as stated above get used to drug tests.

If you have a valid prescription, and nothing weird that will show up on an automated prescription reporting system, you should be fine-- but you're going to have to disclose it.

Reactions: 1 user
IMHO, if you are taking adderall currently, disclose it. If you have been off adderall for months, I wouldn't disclose it.