Drug Tests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigdogg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which schools require drug tests?? I know that Wash U is one of them... if you know of others, please list them here.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
DrKitty said:
Is this an issue for you?
seriously, is that a condescending tone?(its always hard to tell)

FYI, just stop smoking a month or two before you matriculate.

If any school has a drug test policy, they will most likely test during orientation.

BaylorGuy said:
FYI, just stop smoking a month or two before you matriculate.

If any school has a drug test policy, they will most likely test during orientation.

it really only takes about 15 days to clear your system (my system). but it really depends on how much body fat you have and how often you exercise (i have low body fat and exercise relatively often). give it 30 days to just be safe.
-dr. mota

DaMota said:
it really only takes about 15 days to clear your system (my system). but it really depends on how much body fat you have and how often you exercise (i have low body fat and exercise relatively often). give it 30 days to just be safe.
-dr. mota

You right. Depending on body fat and metabolism/whether your exercise or not depends on how fast it leaves you body. The faster and less body fat you have, the faster it leaves.

Also, depending on how much you smoke will depend. If you are a daily smoker of a number of bowls/Js, then you make need longer than the person who is an occassional smoker (once to twice per month).

I've never understood why this is such an issue. Schools should have mandatory drug testing once a month, it's for the safety of the patients you're interacting with. Med students/residents have no excuse to be on any kinds of mind-altering drugs, because you are supposed to be learning how to take care of people. How can you do that if you don't even take care of yourself and respect your own health enough not to do drugs? :confused:

Ahh... I see a drug debate coming on... :rolleyes:

How about this, do you really think it's that different to smoke some pot on the weekends than to have a few beers? Niether one is going to affect you come Monday, so does it matter?

drug testing once a month? seriously? i'm sure if someone was a chronic user to the point that it affected their ability to care for patients etc., it would be fairly evident to most people, and doesn't warrant such an extreme measure.
i can't speak for most drugs... but i'm sure that occasional dabbling in mj doesn't compromise one's ability to become a good physician.

although really, what do i know.

mustangsally65 said:
I've never understood why this is such an issue. Schools should have mandatory drug testing once a month, it's for the safety of the patients you're interacting with. Med students/residents have no excuse to be on any kinds of mind-altering drugs, because you are supposed to be learning how to take care of people. How can you do that if you don't even take care of yourself and respect your own health enough not to do drugs? :confused:

BooMed said:

How about this, do you really think it's that different to smoke some pot on the weekends than to have a few beers? Niether one is going to affect you come Monday, so does it matter?
If you're reading BooMed's post and think that you have a good retort, stop. Just stop. BooMed rocked you already.

mustangsally65 said:

this is so ridiculous i'm not even gonna respond to it.
-dr. mota

Members don't see this ad :)
drinklord said:
If you're reading BooMed's post and think that you have a good retort, stop. Just stop. BooMed rocked you already.

Thank you drinklord. I just think it's time to end the hysteria. :)

mustangsally65 said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

BooMed said:
So I guess I really am naive and haven't had enough exposure to people who smoke pot. :oops: I didn't realize marijuana use was as common as alcohol use.

I think it would be wise to ban myself from any future drug discussions, since I'm not really qualified to talk about either pot or alcohol. I didn't mean to sound so haughty, I just have gone my whole life without either substance and don't really miss them, so I have a hard time understanding why other people enjoy them. But that doesn't mean I need to criticize or be judgmental.

*logs off in shame and embarassment* :laugh:

BooMed said:

Obviously you are not familiar with the california chronic :rolleyes:

While I do not think it is morally right for doctors to practice while stoned, I'm not sure if I see any moral problems with them smoking off duty. Surely, though, weed kills your brain cells and will make you stupid for a couple days if you get really stoned. But as a med student this is really more of a detriment to you than to anyone else. The gunner in me is all about allowing med students to smoke....I'm all about the curve

three weeks tops in clearing it- get a detox kit and it is quicker

mustangsally65 said:

Dude, you're harshing my buzz. :cool:

BooMed said:

here's the difference - it is not illegal to have a few beers on the weekend. it is illegal to smoke pot. regardless of whether pot should be legal or not, at this point it is not legal.

mustangsally65 said:
So I guess I really am naive and haven't had enough exposure to people who smoke pot. :oops: I didn't realize marijuana use was as common as alcohol use.

I think it would be wise to ban myself from any future drug discussions, since I'm not really qualified to talk about either pot or alcohol. I didn't mean to sound so haughty, I just have gone my whole life without either substance and don't really miss them, so I have a hard time understanding why other people enjoy them. But that doesn't mean I need to criticize or be judgmental.

It's not necessarily a debate of whether drugs are morally correct or not (legally they obviously aren't). It's just the implication that you made that because someone happens to partake in such activities on their own time it would result in them being a deficient doctor, which I strongly disagree with. But to each their own. :)

Tonight's debate is brought to you by the Dennis Hopper School of Medicine.

mustangsally65 said:

if you have "gone [your] whole life without either substance..." it means you haven't tried it. If you haven't tried it, how can ya miss it??

Think about it...ill give you a few seconds.

oooh...get it? yeaaaaaa-a-a *coughs up some smoke*
damn, thats better.

Zoom-Zoom said:
But as a med student this is really more of a detriment to you than to anyone else. The gunner in me is all about allowing med students to smoke....I'm all about the curve

lol best response ever!

Law2Doc said:
Med school books are heavy and all, but it's not really necessary to resort to steroids. :rolleyes:
Hmm, from the OPs screen name, maybe that's what they were referring to.

huh..huh, I said "reefer."

Like I was saying, if you know a school that requires a drug test, list it. Great. Thanks.

bigdogg said:
Like I was saying, if you know a school that requires a drug test, list it. Great. Thanks.

I think your list is pretty complete. Very few, if any, med schools do this, at least prior to admission. It might make more sense before licensing -- i.e. before you have access to and can write prescription for drugs, but I don't know if anyplace does this either.

well I know that LSU-Shreveport requires it. around the time that you statrt classes, probably just before

mustangsally65 said:

Aw, Mustang, don't be embarrassed. :p

Mt. Sinai requires a drug test too.

Suppose you take say, Ritalin, or even amphetamines to treat ADD... It's legal, and you have a prescription, but it is not exactly a condition you want to reveal to a school. Is there some kind of confidentiality or privacy protection for a student with a "documented disability" (even chronic pain) who is legitimately taking, and will test positive for, a drug that is sometimes (frequently?) abused?

I could probably wrong, but my sense of sinai's drug tests (at least) was that they're only testing for illegal substances.

mustangsally65 said:

Medicinal marijuana? haha

BooMed said:

I agree.

bigdogg said:

USUHS most definitely requires a drug test, and a physical test, and a security clearance. Basically, if you use [insert drug of choice here], and can't quit for a few months before your physical, don't even think about applying here. And if you can't quit a few months, you should seriously reconsider your choice of profession too, forget the school.

-D