drug use in med school

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by choker, Oct 30, 2001.

1. choker

choker Senior Member

just curious about this issue. have you guys noticed much/a lot of/any illicit drug use in medical school? is marajuana prevalent? what about drinking? can you be specific about your school? do some schools have reputations?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dentalski37

Dentalski37 Junior Member

Well,

I don't want to start naming medical schools, but yes, I know of medical students who occasionally use ecstasy, cocaine, and on a more frequent basis marijuana. Medical students are not always those goody, goody straight-edged, law-abiding types contrary to popular belief.

Dentalski

4. florisio

florisio Member

Why should one assume that medical students wouldn't enjoy the same vices as everyone else? I know of no medical schools that require drug testing. Perhaps some do, but that surely seems ridiculous. Just about everyone I know in medical school has smoked marijuana before and sees no reason to end that simply because they are in medical school, partiucularly in the first two years when responsibility is small. Certainly other people will choose to use other drugs like ectasy, mushrooms, acid, cocaine, etc. It is not terribly uncommon for people to use amphetamines and other prescription drugs to aid in studying. You just have to not get caught.

-F

5. guardian

guardian Senior Member

Are you looking that far ahead? :rolleyes:

Now I don't have a problem with people using drugs for recreation or to unwind (personally I don't), but using drugs to aid in study is just sick.