drug use on health records

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bitnervous

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I may be overly neurotic and I am sorry if I am writing about a topic that is not allowed but I wanted to check. I have been accepted to medical school and am taking a year of deferral and doing research with a professor at the medical school. When I was in college I smoked marijuana a few times but I have not since moving to the city of my new med school (and I do not intend to--I'm too worried about what would happen if I got caught). At a regular check up with a doctor here, I said I had smoked marijuana in the past. My health care info, which is extremely easily accessible to any health care worker/med student/any associated with the medical school, now says this. I did not want to lie to my doctor, but I am a bit nervous now that my future profs/deans/ etc. can see this. Should I be worried? Can any of these people legally look at this and is there any possibility that I could face repercussions for admitting to previous marijuana use?
Sorry if this has been asked before!!

Members don't see this ad.

You cannot be discriminated against based on your health records. Admissions cannot legally look at your health records, short of your incoming health form, and do anything to you retroactively. The incoming health form cannot be used against you either.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I may be overly neurotic and I am sorry if I am writing about a topic that is not allowed but I wanted to check. I have been accepted to medical school and am taking a year of deferral and doing research with a professor at the medical school. When I was in college I smoked marijuana a few times but I have not since moving to the city of my new med school (and I do not intend to--I'm too worried about what would happen if I got caught). At a regular check up with a doctor here, I said I had smoked marijuana in the past. My health care info, which is extremely easily accessible to any health care worker/med student/any associated with the medical school, now says this. I did not want to lie to my doctor, but I am a bit nervous now that my future profs/deans/ etc. can see this. Should I be worried? Can any of these people legally look at this and is there any possibility that I could face repercussions for admitting to previous marijuana use?

Sorry if this has been asked before!!

I'm pretty sure professors don't just randomly try to check out medical records of thier students because that would be a HIPAA violation.

Never use marijuana again, and you should be fine. Though, if the subject comes up in any official way, do not lie about your previous use.

Thanks a lot for all your quick and helpful responses! :)

You will be fine. I would venture to guess that most people have at least tried smoking pot once or twice. + your medical records are sealed unless you give permission. No worries, unless you are applying for security clearance, then you can go ahead and worry.

i think the current health crisis is a great filter for who enters medicine. chances are that you will be working hard for less pay. now that does depend on what you choose to do with medicine. if you want to do something like dermatology you will be making a lot of money and not working that hard (relative to primary care physicians - all physicians of course work hard!). If you want to get into primary care then you will be working very hard for little pay but you will be making the biggest impact and helping a lot of people that need it. so its kind of your call to what you want to do with your m.d

PC physicians are rewarded by quantity, not quality. They are the gatekeepers and usually the first line of defense so it takes a lot of time and resources to figure out whats wrong with the patient but they are not compensated by how much time they spend on one patient. As a result, they must try to see a lot of patients in a short period of time - this adds a lot of complexity to their jobs.

i think the current health crisis is a great filter for who enters medicine. chances are that you will be working hard for less pay. now that does depend on what you choose to do with medicine. if you want to do something like dermatology you will be making a lot of money and not working that hard (relative to primary care physicians - all physicians of course work hard!). If you want to get into primary care then you will be working very hard for little pay but you will be making the biggest impact and helping a lot of people that need it. so its kind of your call to what you want to do with your m.d

PC physicians are rewarded by quantity, not quality. They are the gatekeepers and usually the first line of defense so it takes a lot of time and resources to figure out whats wrong with the patient but they are not compensated by how much time they spend on one patient. As a result, they must try to see a lot of patients in a short period of time - this adds a lot of complexity to their jobs.

Am I missing something? As in, how does this relate to the OP?

Your records are private. what you post on this forum on the other hand...

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to turn this into an argument but what does the OP's usage of marijuana from here on out have anything to do with being in medical school? A lot of people I know in med school smoke on occasion it's really not a big deal...

also it should be noted that once in medical school you have to...
1)cease smoking cigarettes
2)cease smoking weed because everyone knows that all the propaganda the government has put out about marijuana is true (carcinogens, killing brain cells, etc)
3)only eat healthy foods so when you begin to see patients that are overweight they will listen and wont think you are a hypocrite
4)Stop ALL consumption of alcohol...because everyone knows its hypocritical for a medical student to be messing around with that stuff

2) Cease smoking weed because it's ilegal, you stupid idiots!

You cannot be discriminated against based on your health records. Admissions cannot legally look at your health records, short of your incoming health form, and do anything to you retroactively. The incoming health form cannot be used against you either.

I agree...!

But, there is the question of when you are ready to apply for the job... the background check - you may or maynot pass that (dependant of how long ago)...

I agree...!

But, there is the question of when you are ready to apply for the job... the background check - you may or maynot pass that (dependant of how long ago)...

The only reason you'd denied a job for having smoked pot a few times in college is if you were applying for high-level security clearance. Even then, it's generally not a big deal if enough time has passed. However, you won't be able to get a job in a hospital if you can't pass a pee test. So it's probably not a good idea to smoke pot in the months before you're trying to get a job.

Also, isn't there that hair test thingie that can determine pot usage for months?

2)cease smoking weed because everyone knows that all the propaganda the government has put out about marijuana is true (carcinogens, killing brain cells, etc)
3)only eat healthy foods so when you begin to see patients that are overweight they will listen and wont think you are a hypocrite
4)Stop ALL consumption of alcohol...because everyone knows its hypocritical for a medical student to be messing around with that stuff

I know I follow all those rules to a T.

I also took a vow of celibacy upon entering medical school and promised to help old ladies cross the street.

The only reason you'd denied a job for having smoked pot a few times in college is if you were applying for high-level security clearance. Even then, it's generally not a big deal if enough time has passed. However, you won't be able to get a job in a hospital if you can't pass a pee test. So it's probably not a good idea to smoke pot in the months before you're trying to get a job.

Also, isn't there that hair test thingie that can determine pot usage for months?

I think, with the exception of uber-secret jobs, past usage of pot isn't a discriminator. They just want you to be honest about it, the dishonesty part, by proxy, makes you a far greater security risk than experimenting with pot.

I know people that are working in the intelligence field who had no problems getting a clearance because they were honest about it.

Hahaha

Like the above posters said, HIPAA has got your back.

Never use marijuana again, and you should be fine. Though, if the subject comes up in any official way, do not lie about your previous use.

As to this quoted line: whenever a drug-use question comes up, unless you have a criminal history, or if it is definitely officially documented somewhere else, LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE. Until the current legal system completely decriminalizes the use of marijuana, you will put yourself at a disadvantage by admitting to prior use. I've interviewed at one program where admitting to prior use DQ's you for admittance. Does it show you as being mistrustful or dishonest to lie? Maybe. But are you willing to shoot yourself in the foot and exclude yourself from future opportunities if the current marijuana laws don't change for the better?

Also, in no way am I admitting to ever lying on an application, or insinuating that it would be a good idea :).

Last edited:
OP,
either ignore the issue and hope for the best
or
if you worry about it, its going to stick with you in a stickier way than you might be able to foresee right now.
If you ignore it, put it out of mind, you will be less likely to give away signs of it.

btw: SDN has driven me to my limit of sanity. I was thinking about getting a cat to keep me company as I cram for the MCAT. I don't know what I was exactly thinking. Is it normal for people to start feeling like their college is home and that they now want to get a cat to keep themselves company?

2) Cease smoking weed because it's ilegal, you stupid idiots!
Wow. Thank you SOOOOO much for spreading the word; seriously. It seems to me that the majority of people who smoke weed think otherwise... whenever they do think.

OP, you have absolutely no worry about what is in your health record. I work for a large health care system and even before HIPAA there were health information privacy laws. Healthcare workers are not allowed to look up records of patients that they are not actually caring for or don't in some way need the info to do their jobs. Where I work records are electronic and there are audit records and if they catch you looking at records you shouldn't be you are in big trouble. Your professors and other med students are not allowed to look at your records just because they know you and are curious.

Nice. Do you base all of your decisions on the legality of something?
Ummm... although I'm not the writer of the post you are referring to, let me jump on my metaphorical horse for a minute. IMO, the poster's logic behind this (as well as mine) is the fact that....
IT IS ILLEGAL... Certain stuff is illegal for a reason & doing illegal things = Prison/Fines/Criminal Record. I don't know about you, but I base my decision to NOT do drugs on two things: 1) Long-term health consequences 2) If I get caught with illegal drugs, I could end up getting arrested and sporting a fine orange cotton jumpsuit with the big letters DOC on the back of it, smiling for my head shot which would be plastered on the six o'clock news for my loving mother and the rest of the world to see. Not exactly on my to-do list. :thumbup:

People just want to get high, I get it - and the world is full of losers....

Premeds: using pot means that you are a criminal; if you purchase pot, you are involved with other criminals. If you get arrested for the possession and/or use of illegal drugs, you will never get into med-school. I have been on several adcoms reviewing med-school applicants; the first question asked, and answered, is whether an applicant has been arrested for drug use - if yes, his/her application is thrown out. At any given time during formal interviews, you will be asked about your drug use history, both illegal and prescription. Accepted med-school applicants are drug tested on a regular basis, if a student fails any drug test, s(he) is thrown out of school.

-----------------

A doctor who uses illegal drugs is a criminal; if s(he) get arrested for use:

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/crim_admin_actions/index.html

Moonglow, I don't know who you are but I feel like your border line trolling. I use to smoke pot, I don't anywhere simply cause I'm too busy. But there's really nothing wrong with it in moderation. Get off your high horse. Not everyone involved in the pot dealing business is a hardened felon. Also, what you said about med school applicants being drug tested, I've never heard more BS in my entire life.

Also, what you said about med school applicants being drug tested, I've never heard more BS in my entire life.

I'm "trolling" for calling out drug users on a medical forum? Please. I'm a doctor, Mr. Pre-Medical. And, I said that med-school students get drug tested.

Just because your a doctor doesn't mean you're speaking without extreme bias. And the only time I've heard of medical students getting drug tested was if they were working with prisoners. And I have many friends currently in medical school and friends who are out of medical school.

Premeds: using pot means that you are a criminal
But there's really nothing wrong with it in moderation. Get off your high horse.

You're talking about different things. Many people view the legality of marijuana in the same frame as driving 10 miles per hour above the speed limit, on a highway. (No harm, no foul.)
It is illegal. But, it's also illegal to have sex in any other position than missionary, in Washington, D.C. (Boring!).
Just because it's illegal doesn't mean it's right. Though, if you're trying to advance in life, it's probably best to play it safe; don't do drugs.

37-Don%27t%20Do%20Drugs.jpg

While volunteering at a highly respected academic hospital last April (4/20) my friend heard two cardio-thoracic surgeons talking about how blazed they were going to get once they got off work that day. I think you're fine.

(P.S. For the record, I'm not advocating drug use; I'm just saying that I doubt you need to worry about having your acceptance revoked at this point.)

Accepted med-school applicants are drug tested on a regular basis, if a student fails any drug test, s(he) is thrown out of school.

This is not the policy at my school, I actually have not heard of any schools that do this.

And j-walking and speeding makes you a criminal. Not endorsing pot, but this isn't the best logic....

Premeds: using pot means that you are a criminal; if you purchase pot, you are involved with other criminals. If you get arrested for the possession and/or use of illegal drugs, you will never get into med-school. I have been on several adcoms reviewing med-school applicants; the first question asked, and answered, is whether an applicant has been arrested for drug use - if yes, his/her application is thrown out. At any given time during formal interviews, you will be asked about your drug use history, both illegal and prescription. Accepted med-school applicants are drug tested on a regular basis, if a student fails any drug test, s(he) is thrown out of school.

-----------------

I'm "trolling" for calling out drug users on a medical forum? Please. I'm a doctor, Mr. Pre-Medical. And, I said that med-school students get drug tested.

i don't know, you seem kinda sketch. that mdapps profile appears to have been made, like, 2 days ago. also, your info seems wrong. it doesn't help a school to throw out a student that's already started classes- they do everything they can to keep students IN once they are in. i think if a med student had a real drug problem they would probably be encouraged to undergo some sort of counseling, rather than being immediately booted from the program.

from what i've been able to infer on these boards . . . if med schools did random testing, and threw out the students who tested positive, we'd know about it- because it would be a lot of damn people!

I recently joined this board because I am now on an adcom; and I posted my mdapp just for the fun of it (I went to med-school ten years-ago).

I've heard every excuse, and every justification imaginable for the continued use of drugs - never-ending.

It's your future in medicine; if you can't give up the doobage, then there is no point in talking to you about anything else.

I recently joined this board because I am now on an adcom; and I posted my mdapp just for the fun of it (I went to med-school ten years-ago).

I've heard every excuse, and every justification imaginable for the continued use of drugs - never-ending.

It's your future in medicine; if you can't give up the doobage, then there is no point in talking to you about anything else.

My point was more that you just don't seem like how i would expect an adcom member to be (mature, reasonable, not defensive) . . . statements like the bolded one above seem kind of silly. Also don't adcom members usually try to be more anonymous regarding their institution?

In any case, I don't really care about the pot argument so much. I agree that professionals shouldn't be habitually doing illegal things. But I just think it seems highly unlikely that a school would throw out a student for ANYTHING that isn't a VERY big deal. i really believe that schools try to help their students, and if a student was really stuggling with a drug problem i would hope they would try to intervene and offer some help, rather than simply tossing them out on their ass. that would be a huge waste of money for the school.

-----------------

What? I was never asked asked about substance use/abuse in any medical school interview. Asking an applicant about legal prescription drug use is prying into an applicants personal health history. Highly unethical and a highly suspect statement on your part.

Also, I've never heard of any medical school drug testing. I am sure some do, but they are in the minority of medical schools.

Finally, did you read your own link? The overwhelming majority of Doctors on the list were prosecuted for their prescribing habits (or blatantly criminal actions like selling prescription narcotics), not personal use.

Obviously it would make sense that a federal entity would get involved for serious criminal matters involving a DEA number, as opposed to simple possession.

Yeah, you're a doctor. So what?

That doesn't make you immune from putting bad information out there.

Where do medical students get drug tested? This is the first time I've heard of this.

This is not the policy at my school, I actually have not heard of any schools that do this.

The only place I've seen such a draconian drug test policy was in the Army, where we routinely did urine tests and soldiers that came up "hot" were discharged. That was the commander's (read "bosses") discretion too. In other units, failing a drug test meant less severe forms of sanction.

Of course, when the legal authority is the UCMJ, you can be a bit draconian.

My point was more that you just don't seem like how i would expect an adcom member to be (mature, reasonable, not defensive) . . . statements like the bolded one above seem kind of silly. Also don't adcom members usually try to be more anonymous regarding their institution?

In any case, I don't really care about the pot argument so much. I agree that professionals shouldn't be habitually doing illegal things. But I just think it seems highly unlikely that a school would throw out a student for ANYTHING that isn't a VERY big deal. i really believe that schools try to help their students, and if a student was really stuggling with a drug problem i would hope they would try to intervene and offer some help, rather than simply tossing them out on their ass. that would be a huge waste of money for the school.

And a lawsuit waiting to happen.

If there isn't a "I submit to being drug tested" clause in your enrollment papers, it's doubtful that any school could choose to compel their students to incriminate themselves.