Drug violations and med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChadC

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If someone I know gets kicked out their 2nd semester of freshman year, does that kill their chances at getting into a medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

If someone I know gets kicked out their 2nd semester of freshman year, does that kill their chances at getting into a medical school?
Finx-regis.jpg

This just in from the ADCOM's:
another_loser_lav.jpg

Regarding your chances:
elbastardo-golong.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Drug violations + med school = 2 great tastes that don't taste great together.

Drug violations + med school = 2 great tastes that don't taste great together.

C'mon, this is SDN, you're supposed to say:

"This happened to my best friend's cousin's girlfriend, and she still got in. Just do a Post-bac and a lot of shadowing, and you can definitely get in somewhere!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) "

Bonus points the more smiley faces you put in the post . . .

"This happened to my best friend's cousin's girlfriend, and she still got in. Just do a Post-bac and a lot of shadowing, and you can definitely get in somewhere!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) "

no clovers?

Oh, back in my wide-eyed and innocent days, I'm sure I would have been all sunshine and lollipops. But now, the old, jaded, wrinkly BellyDancingDoc reserves smiley faces only for man-robot backdoor love. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, I didn't know so many pre-meds where douchebags. Anyone here have an actual answer? Does a non-criminal semester suspension keep people out of med school regardless of stats?

Im not expert, but IMO, med schools have enough people applying to reject anyone with a drug violation on their record. I mean, you and your friend could reach for some kind of blind hope on the subject, but id venture a pretty well educated guess that there isnt much chance of someone like that getting accepted anywhere.

Wow, I didn't know so many pre-meds where douchebags. Anyone here have an actual answer? Does a non-criminal semester suspension keep people out of med school regardless of stats?

I do not understand. How can you have a "Non-criminal semester suspension" if drug violations led to being kicked out freshman year?

In answer to your question, your friend is in a deep pile of ****, to say the least. If he/she was convicted with a felony or misdemeanor for drug possession, he/she had better start thinking about other career paths.

i don't mean to change the topic of this thread, but does anyone have any opinions about how bad it looks to get disciplinary action from your school for underage drinking in the dorms? all i had to do was some community service and go to a meeting, but does anyone think that this is a deal breaker with med school? i mean, everyone drinks...right?

Chances are the reason for the expulsion are all over his records. Sorry if our original response wasn't warm and fuzzy enough to suit your tastes. You're welcome to trot your happy little self back over to the place where the sun always shine, and everyone holds hands as the skip and dance in a big circle celebrating how nothing we do ever is held against us. I might follow you just to kick a cute little cartoon rabbit. You know....a "for distance and accuracy" sort of thing.....

Sorry if you think I'm a douche. Here, let me answer you seriously.

Yes, your non-criminal semester suspesion will keep you out of med school, regardless of stats.

Now go console yourself with a bong hit.

Sorry if you think I'm a douche. Here, let me answer you seriously.

Yes, your non-criminal semester suspesion will keep you out of med school, regardless of stats.

Now go console yourself with a bong hit.
:smuggrin:

Your friend probably has a one in a million chance now that he got busted for drugs...I was busted for a watergun fight on campus and med schools have been pretty keyed in on that incident so Im guessing drugs are probably going to be a HUGE problem for them.

Like many said already, med schools pretty much have a pick over thousands of already very qualified applicants....

Anything bad on your record and that pretty much takes you out of the run, and anything remotely criminal does you in.

as if an anonymous web board weren't enough...let's go ahead and say it's a "friend" too... :laugh:

kinda...unless, say, your friend wants to get into evil med school...

2172_DR_EVIL.JPG.jpg

i don't mean to change the topic of this thread, but does anyone have any opinions about how bad it looks to get disciplinary action from your school for underage drinking in the dorms? all i had to do was some community service and go to a meeting, but does anyone think that this is a deal breaker with med school? i mean, everyone drinks...right?
not everyone gets an MIP.

some people considered where they want to go with their life and realized that getting in trouble with the law before applying to medical school probably wasn't a good idea.

is it the end of the world? I don't know, but I've been told a MIP is one of the last things you want on your record when applying to medical school.

I know people who have gotten in with arrest records, one had drug charges included. There we're actually 3-4 people I know in this boat, luckily I wasn't. Anyone I know, though, got these arrests as a minor. Getting arrested for childish **** as an adult won't look good, I'm sure.

Ooh! I saw this on an episode of Law & Order (or maybe it was Without a Trace?), so obviously, it must be true. Depends on whether it was a felony or a misdemeanor. I think AMCAS currently only asks about felony convictions.

Of course, I believe some schools do background checks and others may also ask on their secondaries about misdemeanors. How they handle that stuff probably varies from school to school.

My weeks of watching crime procedurals over Winter Break have come in handy already!

not everyone gets an MIP.

some people considered where they want to go with their life and realized that getting in trouble with the law before applying to medical school probably wasn't a good idea.

that sounds rather high and mighty if it's an argument to not drink til 21...or an argument that people who drink underage in college have given no consideration to their futures...

however, if it's just a "some people are smart enough not to get caught" then i agree 100%

that sounds rather high and mighty if it's an argument to not drink til 21...or an argument that people who drink underage in college have given no consideration to their futures...

however, if it's just a "some people are smart enough not to get caught" then i agree 100%
I'm not going to preach to anyone, but risking your future for something as meaningless as underage drinking is a little silly. People are free to do as they choose, though.

I'm not going to preach to anyone, but risking your future for something as meaningless as underage drinking is a little silly. People are free to do as they choose, though.

Speaking from my own undergrad days: I was picked up by the campus cops for a similar infraction, and also had to make some posters and write a letter of appology. However, this did not appear in my school file, so it was never mentioned in my med school app.

To whoever posted this question, I would find out whether or not it's in your file. If it's not, just forget about it.

Well, most of us aren't adcomm members, so asking here isn't going to get you accurate information, per se. However, it is my impression, OP, that by being suspended for drug violations, your friend has done himself/herself a grave disservice, as I am sure you know. I don't think it is wise to say that your friend WON'T get in because of the infraction, but I think it should be obvious that he/she is the like the limbless knight in Monty Python's, "Holy Grail". I would say that he/she doesn't have a leg to stand on and then some. I would recommend to them that they do what they can to learn from their mistakes and prove that they have changed to the medical schools.

Speaking from my own undergrad days: I was picked up by the campus cops for a similar infraction, and also had to make some posters and write a letter of appology. However, this did not appear in my school file, so it was never mentioned in my med school app.

To whoever posted this question, I would find out whether or not it's in your file. If it's not, just forget about it.
well yeah, it depends on what action was taking. it sounded like the OP said he got .. err, his friend got suspended from school for drug violations. I'd dare say that if they suspend you from school, it will be on your record.

Actually, I received both MIP and possession of fake id charges (same incident) during sophomore year of undergrad (i'm a senior now). Both of these things are on my "record" or whatever - the hospital where i work is constantly running background checks, and my manager knew about the offenses within a few weeks. Still, this has never come up at any of my med school interviews - if they know, i don't think it matters to them that much.

Actually, I received both MIP and possession of fake id charges (same incident) during sophomore year of undergrad (i'm a senior now). Both of these things are on my "record" or whatever - the hospital where i work is constantly running background checks, and my manager knew about the offenses within a few weeks. Still, this has never come up at any of my med school interviews - if they know, i don't think it matters to them that much.

Well, here's the thing: some secondaries ask if you have ever been the subject of any disciplinary action at your school, and if so, to disclose it.

I do not understand. How can you have a "Non-criminal semester suspension" if drug violations led to being kicked out freshman year?

In answer to your question, your friend is in a deep pile of ****, to say the least. If he/she was convicted with a felony or misdemeanor for drug possession, he/she had better start thinking about other career paths.

The police are not involved. My friend was no arrested and will have no criminal record for the incident.

you will be fine.

The police are not involved. My friend was no arrested and will have no criminal record for the incident.
it will be on his school record though. the applications always ask for reasons for taking breaks in school, and they also ask if you received any disciplinary action while in school.

it will be hard for it not to come up

Yo, OP, use the SDN search function to avoid the flames.

well yeah, it depends on what action was taking. it sounded like the OP said he got .. err, his friend got suspended from school for drug violations. I'd dare say that if they suspend you from school, it will be on your record.

Oh, sorry, I was refering to the second question about the undergrad who got busted for drinking in the dorm. I have never (and will never) get busted for illicit drug use; definitely not my cup of tea. I was refering to the busted at a dorm party and having to make posters.

just to clarify things, i never got arrested for the underage drinking thing. i just got written up by the campus security and had to meet with the dean of the college and do some community service.

just to clarify things, i never got arrested for the underage drinking thing. i just got written up by the campus security and had to meet with the dean of the college and do some community service.

Hypothetical ditto (I admit to nothing).

Check if it's in your permanent file. Ask your advisor, assuming they are sympathetic to you, to check it out for you. Mine wasn't, and I never had to mention it anywhere.

hey OP
People make mistakes, we are all human. I assume you are pretty young? (ie younger than me, lol like under 21?) Anyways, please think more about your actions in the future and learn from your mistakes. Drugs are not a good thing and you need to realize this for yourself. Talk to someone about this and get some help. Worry about that first then get worrying about med school after you have this under control. If I were an adcomm I don't think I would hold one isolated incident against a person IF they got the help they needed and it was in fact turned around. As a physician if patients come to me I wouldn't want to say all their life/dreams were over because of something that can be turned around one day. I wish you well.

your toast loser

I don't think doing drugs makes you a loser.

I would ask a premed advisor (although they often aren't that helpful) or maybe ?? call the school(s) anonymously and see what they say?

I know people make mistakes and it sucks how sometimes past mistakes can close future doors. Sometimes I don't think this is completely fair.

Good luck.

I'm curious how one can be suspended for drugs yet not have any consequences legally. I geuss I figured most campuses had their own PD and would refer such cases to them. What exactly was is that happened, was it a one time offense... I would imagine if it is a one time offense, and must have been minor enough to never been referred to the local PD, that this would be lumped in with all those applying with minor consumptions/in possession tickets. Like one or two others have said, none of us know for sure, but it wouldn't stop me from at least applying, although I would have a solid back-up just in case.

Oh, and watch out for losers like this who forget that people make mistakes, eventually they all get so consumed by their own ego that they just kinda disappear...

your toast loser

I know that KU runs a background check after you've been accepted and shortly before matriculation... of course something like an MIP isn't likely to be of any harm but they will know. I had an MIP a few years ago too but ended up doing diversion so I'm clear for now... and a lot poorer! Now if it's something like selling large amounts of coke, you're screwed :cool:

I don't know if anyone said this - but even if you do get accepted. If this is a criminal charge on your record you will be ineligible for all government aid, so you can't get Stafford loans. That will make paying for medical school REALLY hard and far more expensive than it will be for the rest of us.

Just something to consider.

I have two DUI's and just got accepted. All you perfect shiny pre-med d!cks can respond to that.

Sorry to hear about your "friend." It seems a lot of people these days have "friends" who need advice but somehow can't manage to find a computer to ask for themselves. Very strange, really.

I'm guessing that your suspension...er...I mean your "friend's" suspension has something to do with one of your earlier threads:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=337292

So back to your question: will getting kicked out for drugs kill your chances? The short answer is "yes, kiss med school goodbye."

The longer answer is "yes, but..."

If you plan to apply right after college, you probably won't have much of a shot. It's too recent. I think you need a little bit of distance between your suspension and your application and 3 years is probably not enough time. I would suggest getting very serious about school and doing well on the MCAT for starters. If you do choose to apply right after college, get a good back-up plan -- maybe a master's degree -- so that if you have to reapply, you can have more distance between you and your suspension, and another degree to show that you can be a serious student.