Drug violations and med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
your toast loser

Am I the only one who smells TROLL when reading this individual's posts? I've noticed it for a while now.

Members don't see this ad.

I have two DUI's and just got accepted. All you perfect shiny pre-med d!cks can respond to that.

Well, DUIs aren't felonies and they don't show up on your transcripts (unlike suspensions from school). I'm guessing that you didn't put them on any of your applications either, so it's kind of a moot point. The schools you applied to didn't know about your DUIs. You will, however, have to disclose them when you apply for your MD license and it may be denied because of it. So hey, good luck, buddy.

I have two DUI's and just got accepted. All you perfect shiny pre-med d!cks can respond to that.

what type of response are you looking for? perhaps it's a shame you didn't go up in a ball of flames for crashing your car since you're irresponsible tool?

and no, i'm not against drinking...but being stupid enough to drink and drive makes you a waste of sperm and egg...

Members don't see this ad :)
Incase anyone wanted to know where I was heading with this. My "friend", aka, me, got caught by the ra's and campus cops in the dorm. His suitemates were having a party, then left and ra's came in and found beer and tobacco (which they thought was weed). Then they did a full search of rooms and found a bowl and bong in my room. I got charged with drug and alcohol violations and have a year of probation with the school, but nothing legal related. I got to keep my scholarship, and I didn't get suspended for any amount of time. On the downside, I'm leaning more towards dentristy, than medicine:oops:, but to those with real replies, thanks.

Alright, with all this drug talk, It's getting me paranoid. Earlier this year I applied for a seasonal police officer position, and I had to admit to them every bad thing (illegal thing) Ive ever done in my entire life. Could this ever come back to haunt me?

thanks

On the downside, I'm leaning more towards dentristy

So you're telling us that not only were you immature enough to use drugs, stupid enough to get caught, but that your grades also suck? :laugh: ;)

If this is a criminal charge on your record you will be ineligible for all government aid, so you can't get Stafford loans.

Straight from Da Feds:

"Federal law suspends your eligibility for federal student aid, if you have been convicted for the possession or sale of illegal drugs for an offense that occurred during a period of enrollment for which you were receiving federal student aid (grants, loans, and/or work-study)."

Anything with DRUGS is going to be a problem.

On the other hand, possession of alcohol or underage drinking or drinking in the presence of minors or any of that sort of thing might be considered forgiveable. However, if alcohol use results in or is associated with stupid behavior then it could be a problem.

Well, here's the thing: some secondaries ask if you have ever been the subject of any disciplinary action at your school, and if so, to disclose it.

Okay now im paranoid and could use some advice. Freshman year someone kept effing up my dorms (punching holes in walls in the halls, breaking signs, doors windows, etc ) ... Well one night I was gone at a concert, came back and there were holes in the walls across from my room and apparently the RA talked to my roomates and they said they didn't do it and I wasn't there, but that they still wanted to talk to me.
So I went and saw the RA to tell him I wasn't even there but he said he already filed a report with the Residental Director that had my name on it b/c I was apparently I was a suspect so I went and talked to him, told him I didn't do anything, had people who could verify where I was etc etc. Nothing ever came of it, so I never thought about it, but does anyone think this report would be in my record, and if so; even though there was absolutely no disciplinary action taken by the University, that if it was in the record I would need to explain anyway?? I am going to go check my records soon, but apparently at my school you have to make an appointment that takes like 3-5 days to confirm and all so I'm really nervous now. Any thoughts??

So bottom line: for those who don't want to read that: there could be a 'complaint' against me in the record, no discipliniary action was taken whatsoever, but if it is indeed in the file, should I explain??

Okay now im paranoid and could use some advice. Freshman year I was gone at a concert, came back and there were holes in the walls across from my room and apparently the RA talked to my roomates and they said they didn't do it and I wasn't there, but that they still wanted to talk to me.
So I went and saw the RA to tell him I wasn't even there but he said he already filed a report with the Residental Director that had my name on it b/c I was apparently I was a suspect so I went and talked to him, told him I didn't do anything, had people who could verify where I was etc etc. Nothing ever came of it,

Made your long story short.... your institution never took any action against you (suspension, probation, kicked off campus, mandatory anything). Ergo, you are not the subject of an institutional action. Therefore, you do not have an institutional action to report on the AMCAS.

Made your long story short.... your institution never took any action against you (suspension, probation, kicked off campus, mandatory anything). Ergo, you are not the subject of an institutional action. Therefore, you do not have an institutional action to report on the AMCAS.

Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad :)

Okay one more nervous question (because now im kinda stuck on this): freshman year I was at a football game with my roommate and guys in his frat ( and football games are considered campus sponsered events so you can get in school trouble there ) and some of the guys were standing in the back of the open stadium smoking cigarettes and some security guard told us we all had to leave bc of them, took down our ID numbers, and said that we would have to go see the dean ( just for like a warning - as she stated it ), but none of us ever got called in. Am I clear in not reporting this also??
(Sorry for my paranoia ...)

Okay one more nervous question (because now im kinda stuck on this): freshman year I was at a football game with my roommate and guys in his frat ( and football games are considered campus sponsered events so you can get in school trouble there ) and some of the guys were standing in the back of the open stadium smoking cigarettes and some security guard told us we all had to leave bc of them, took down our ID numbers, and said that we would have to go see the dean ( just for like a warning - as she stated it ), but none of us ever got called in. Am I clear in not reporting this also??
(Sorry for my paranoia ...)

Did the institution take action against you? Maybe getting kicked out of the football stadium could be considered an institutional action. You'd better report that. Say that you were asked to leave the football statdium because people sitting near you were smoking and that you left the stadium because you were ordered to do so by a security guard. No further action was taken. Report that... the adcom needs a laugh.;) Seriously, this doesn't sound like anything on your record. Check your record (it is your legal right under federal law) but seriously, take a chill pill and be thankful you don't have a real institutional action to report.

I don't know the complete legality of the situation I'm about to ask...

I thought, going back to the OP, but getting slightly off topic, can't you be denied a medical license if convicted of a felony of possession of controlled substances either legal or illegal?

I don't know the complete legality of the situation I'm about to ask...

I thought, going back to the OP, but getting slightly off topic, can't you be denied a medical license if convicted of a felony of possession of controlled substances either legal or illegal?

This is one of the reasons for criminal background checks. You can be denied a medical license in some jurisdictions for drug convictions. So, it would be a real problem to admit someone to medical school and have them finish, (heavily in debt in all likelihood) and then be unable to get a license to practice medicine.

Sure, you can be, but depending on the nature of the offense, the time since the offense, and the circumstances of the application, a state medical board may issue a license (full or restricted) to even those with, shall we say, blemished pasts.

Well, I have a drug charge on my record and I'm still applying. Still, I'm realistic, it WILL hurt me. I know that, it's a fact. I've got a backup career in mind if this all goes down the drain.

Well, I have a drug charge on my record and I'm still applying. Still, I'm realistic, it WILL hurt me. I know that, it's a fact. I've got a backup career in mind if this all goes down the drain.
was it a charge or conviction? felony, misdemeanor, or citation? if you were just charged I can't see it having any effect whatsoever, and if it wasn't criminal it shouldn't be a big deal

Did the institution take action against you? Maybe getting kicked out of the football stadium could be considered an institutional action. You'd better report that. Say that you were asked to leave the football statdium because people sitting near you were smoking and that you left the stadium because you were ordered to do so by a security guard. No further action was taken. Report that... the adcom needs a laugh.;) Seriously, this doesn't sound like anything on your record. Check your record (it is your legal right under federal law) but seriously, take a chill pill and be thankful you don't have a real institutional action to report.

Thanks again ( and your chill pill advice is something I could alwayyyss use)!! As far as the institution taking action, I need to check my record, because technically being removed from the stadium was by the staff ( I go to a big football school and we play our games in a national stadium), and the discipline taken by the university was what happens when you are referred to the dean. However, because I wasn't actually called into the dean's office ... no action was taken by the university. So I need to just check my records to be extra safe. Once again thanks, and I'll quit obsessing!!

was it a charge or conviction? felony, misdemeanor, or citation? if you were just charged I can't see it having any effect whatsoever, and if it wasn't criminal it shouldn't be a big deal

Misdemeanor conviction, I know, not good. I'm just going to be honest about it, and roll the dice. I've already accepted the fact that a lot of schools will judge me based on that event, and reject me outright. I can't blame them, out of 5000+ apps maybe 100 have a record, and of that maybe 10 have drug charges.

This is one of the reasons for criminal background checks. You can be denied a medical license in some jurisdictions for drug convictions. So, it would be a real problem to admit someone to medical school and have them finish, (heavily in debt in all likelihood) and then be unable to get a license to practice medicine.

Thanks. I thought so. I was at a career services presentation and this was brought up but I didn't remember the consequences fully. We were discussing my homestate where I believe drug and DUI charges will lead to failure to obtain a license.

Chris and Frik-

Don't pay attention to people on the forum trying to cast judgments of you.

Some states have decriminalized possession of small amounts of pot, and you may have just gotten a fine (civil forfeiture) and this is not considered a crime. If that is the case (probably isn't but make sure), then absolutely DON'T put it on your application since I've never seen a med school app that asks for civil forfeitures. Criminal background checks would never search for that either.

Now assuming your crime was a misdemeanor or a felony (aka a crime), then you have to list it on your apps and it will hurt you. Personally I think a DUI is considerably worse than a drug possession because you can't hurt anyone with pot, but with a DUI, you might have hurt someone else. Anyways..

It's going to hurt you, and some schools will just throw your applications out with near certainty. However, one thing you learn about med school interviews is that they can be REALLY random. During the interview you have to convince the interviewer to lobby for you because they will be your personal representative at the ADCOM meeting. This means if you have a disqualifier drugs or DUI, you'll need lots of interviews in order to get lucky and find the right interviewer who will cut you some slack.

What does this mean- it means you will have to have a strong enough application to be able to apply broadly and out-of-state. If you have the stats to be able to get 20-30 interviews, you're going to get in SOMEWHERE. The problem is most people fight it out for their in-state spots because that is all they are competitive for. Many applicants can't get interviews all over the nation.

I'm thinking you will need something on the order of 3.7 and 35 MCAT?
Maybe a 3.6 and a 35 MCAT, maybe..

Well good luck. You effectively have to dig yourself out of your hole with brute force statistics. If you can manage that, then you'll be in.