Drugs for the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rtmcad2319

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
SO has anyone tried using Adderol or Ritalin to boost their MCAT scores?

Members don't see this ad.

go ahead and use them if you want. remember though, this is not going to be the the only time you are studying for so long and taking exams for this long. there's step 1, 2 ect...not to mention 12 hour shifts where you are continuously on your feet, thinking competently. mcats are the begining of a whole new lifestyle of studying for 8 hrs on an average day....

just something to think about.

hahahahah! actually, i'm not sure if that question was meant to be a joke..but i found it funny. :D

babyeva08 said:
hahahahah! actually, i'm not sure if that question was meant to be a joke..but i found it funny. :D

HAH if only I thought it was a joke too. Unfortunately I do know people who use them with out much success. When it comes down to it, the thing that will get you the score is good old fashioned hard work....

....wow am I tired!!!

.........and there is still 5 weeks left....

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's not let one of these heated debates start up again! If you do a search you'll find that this has been argued over many times. It's the people who will use Adderall w/o a prescription to give them a boost during the MCAT, or finals week or whatever and think it's ok if it's isolated (myself included in that group) versus people who are very against that type of thing; Then the people who actually do have scripts for the drugs chime in as well...But yes all to say people do use Adderall w/o prescriptions for things like the MCAT. I think it's more for the days preceding the MCAT when you want to study 8 hrs+ with total concentration, not for the test day itself. At any rate, the worst thing one could do was try it for the first time ON mcat day. Good luck, and be safe!

During finals week, a boy in one of my classes had a seizure right before the exam. They think it was because he was using adderol without a perscription. Just remember, if it's not perscribed, you don't know how it's going to react in your body.

Forcing yourself to drug yourself (w/o prescriptions) for an exam... hmmm, just reflect on that for a moment.

a bunch of guys in my high school got high right before the SAT-- they all scored really well, and one even went to harvard . they said that it helped to keep them relaxed :p

anyhoo, i'm not trying to promote self-medication, but just thought i'd add an amusing tidbit ;)

ps- i tried ritalin when i was desperate before finals period. it worked, i won't lie, but i felt like **** for days afterwards. in the end, it wasn't worth it, i wouldn't recommend it.

How sad to have to force yourself to study for 8 hours. That's an average day in medical school. Good luck. :)

I dont have a problem with the duration of studying but I make silly mistakes(like 4 times 2 is 7) that I have been suggested that is gonna be ok after using drug. Right?

Yeah I tried ritalin on a practice test and it didn't really help....plus I had a bad headache all day long...

So much for that bright idea. Back to studying. :mad:

The only drug I might take is ibuprofen.

Up until a couple months ago, I was addicted to caffeine. Then I decided to get ready for the MCAT and also realized that I was sick of having a ferocious urge to pee every hour, so I quit COLD TURKEY. It was hell for about 3 days. Headache, exhaustion, bad mood. Now I feel free. I still drink a diet Coke occasionally, but never more than one can a day. I'm still as productive as before, and I *love* being able to go hours on end without a trip to the john.

Dependency on any drug for peak performance is a bad idea, but I know plenty of people do it. Your mileage may vary.

rtmcad2319 said:
SO has anyone tried using Adderol or Ritalin to boost their MCAT scores?

I use Cherry Coke and/or Starbucks Mocha Frappaccino.

frap_mocha.jpg

mmmmmm.... mocha frappaccino...... drooooool.... :p

ginkgo bilboa is an herbal supplement. You need to take it for some time to see any benefits. Anyone try/use that?

I think ginko biloba actually does work. I took it for about 4 months, then I didn't have any money so I stopped buying it. Anyways, you don't notice the benefit until about a month after using it, and even then, it's not like a high you get from caffine or anything because it's not a stimulant. In fact, it might be all psychological. However I felt like I was remembering things better and more accurately--for example, seeing a formula for physics in my book once and then recalling it a few days later correctly. Small improvements. On the flip side, you have to take it three times a day with food (and who actually eats three times in one day?)

FutureDocDO said:
How about tylenol to prevent neck pain during the exam?

I would get bad lower back and neck pain. I just used good ol' Tylenol.