dry erase???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Molar Man

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
whats the deal with this dry erase thing?

they give us wax paper and some sort of marker pen?

im much more comfortable scratching out work on a good old piece of paper with a normal pencil.

why the change?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I heard, the dry-erase board change was due students measuring angles on PAT by putting their paper/pencil upto the screen and comparing the angles. I don't know how people really had enough time to do that, but apparantly that's wha sparked the change... because as far as I know, the DAT is the only test now required to have marker/dry erase boards. Other tests can still get pencil/paper depending on testing location.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I heard, the dry-erase board change was due students measuring angles on PAT by putting their paper/pencil upto the screen and comparing the angles. I don't know how people really had enough time to do that, but apparantly that's wha sparked the change... because as far as I know, the DAT is the only test now required to have marker/dry erase boards. Other tests can still get pencil/paper depending on testing location.

LOL. What people will do for a extra point.

interesting, thanks for the insight, from what i hear im not too excited about the dry erase thing.

it would be nice to go back to pencil and paper.

whats the deal with this dry erase thing?

they give us wax paper and some sort of marker pen?

im much more comfortable scratching out work on a good old piece of paper with a normal pencil.

why the change?

It is a piece of laminated paper (mine had a grid on it).. it is the ABSOLUTE WORST........ They give you an erase sharpie type marker and an eraser.... My markers didnt work well (they were dry), my hand kept smudging the ink whenever I could get it to work, I couldnt write numbers well and do calculations... it was a nightmare. I HATE those things, but if everyones gotta use em, I guess everyone was in the same boat.. pencil and paper is SOO much easier and better. I guess the few ruined it for the many if people were using it for the angles and thats why they switched.. either way, get yourself one of those erasable boards (like the calendar ones) and start practicing on that, this way your not comfortable with only pencil.. ohh and make sure you leave the cap off the marker for a week so you'll be prepared for that crisis as well...lol..

It is a piece of laminated paper (mine had a grid on it).. it is the ABSOLUTE WORST........ They give you an erase sharpie type marker and an eraser.... My markers didnt work well (they were dry), my hand kept smudging the ink whenever I could get it to work, I couldnt write numbers well and do calculations... it was a nightmare. I HATE those things, but if everyones gotta use em, I guess everyone was in the same boat.. pencil and paper is SOO much easier and better. I guess the few ruined it for the many if people were using it for the angles and thats why they switched.. either way, get yourself one of those erasable boards (like the calendar ones) and start practicing on that, this way your not comfortable with only pencil.. ohh and make sure you leave the cap off the marker for a week so you'll be prepared for that crisis as well...lol..

Can you atleast give it a try (write something on the laminated paper, just to see how the marker works).... that way if its one of the crappy onces... can you ask for another one ???

DOes anybody specifically know what type of markers they are because I was going to buy some but just dont know what they look like or called. Were they Vis-A-Vis markers, or thicker than that

I had pencil and paper for My DAT in sep of 06....

I cant imagine how horrible it would be with dry erase it was bad enough having pencil and paper...

If anybody is in so cal, I know for a fact the Redlands Testing center still uses pencil and paper.. You are just not allowed to touch the monitor of the computer in any way...

So it might be worth the trip if this point really scares you... Of course call and verify before you make the appt...

Good luck to all...

make sure you call the test center to see what they use...I also heard that everyone is using dry erase board and markers but one of my friends took it the past weekend and he had a booklet and a pencil...good luck!

I was one of the first people to encounter the dry erase boards as I took my exam on January 5th. I was told that we are given these boards/laminated papers because people were using the scrap paper for the PAT section. Needless to say I was completely unaware of the new policy, I was not informed of the changes, and it truly screwed my exam up. I am still enraged about this whole thing and I have to retake my exam. It is unacceptable that they expect us to not only take this exam on a computer but also to have to deal with huge markers and laminated papers that easily smudge. The markers are so big that you can barely fit a chemistry equation on the board - literally. Also, if you take notes for the reading comp. section you'll need a new strategy because the notes will not fit on the laminated pages.
This new policy is RIDICULOUS and I feel that we should petition to have the scrap papers and pencils reinstated. This exam is too important to waste valuable time on smudges and dried-out markers....

I was one of the first people to encounter the dry erase boards as I took my exam on January 5th. I was told that we are given these boards/laminated papers because people were using the scrap paper for the PAT section. Needless to say I was completely unaware of the new policy, I was not informed of the changes, and it truly screwed my exam up. I am still enraged about this whole thing and I have to retake my exam. It is unacceptable that they expect us to not only take this exam on a computer but also to have to deal with huge markers and laminated papers that easily smudge. The markers are so big that you can barely fit a chemistry equation on the board - literally. Also, if you take notes for the reading comp. section you'll need a new strategy because the notes will not fit on the laminated pages.
This new policy is RIDICULOUS and I feel that we should petition to have the scrap papers and pencils reinstated. This exam is too important to waste valuable time on smudges and dried-out markers....

I agree with the petition ides, the test is too imprtant and there should be no technical difficulties while taking the exam. They should test our academic knowledge and not how we write!

Anyone else agree?

I agree with the petition ides, the test is too imprtant and there should be no technical difficulties while taking the exam. They should test our academic knowledge and not how we write!

Anyone else agree?

I am planning on sending hundereds of letters every month saying how the laminated paper + markers SUCK... maybe if we scream loud enough they'll start to listen.

Who do I complain to about this ????
Like Lonely said, this test is about our ACADEMICS and the testing process is nerve recking as is.... NOW THEY WANT US TO SOLVE CHEMISTRY AND ORGO equations with markers ???????