Dry eraser board vs paper/pencil for the MCAT!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ocwaveoc

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard from some people that they were given a dry eraser board to do their calculations for the exam. Someone at Thompson prometric stated that the policy is to use paper and pencil to do calculations with. However, according to 'MCAT essentials', you could be given one or the other.
What have your experiences been?

Members don't see this ad.

I got pencil and paper. Dry erase board would suck...

after pushing a pencil your entire life, it would be extremely awkward to use a dry erase board. That is some stupid stuff right there.

IMO, it is akin to driving a stick for the first time the day you take the road test to get your license. ******ed.

Members don't see this ad :)
paper and pencil for me too. The paper is similar to blue books given for exams, but a little bigger. I didn't come close to filling it.

I got paper and pencil, but I actually wish we'd gotten dry erase. I always work on a dry erase board for school, though, so I'm used to it. It was nice to have paper and pencil, though, if I wanted to go back to the question later because I hadn't erased my work.

So, the fact that someone here on SDN got the dry eraser board tells me that the test centers have that option. Wow. Who's brilliant idea was it to institute a dry eraser board? It must be to save money.
Has anyone here taken the test at San Diego's Shoreham place testing site? If so how was the experience...paper/dry eraser board? Noise level? Proctors?