DS Applicant "AGE" POLL (Current and Recent-Past Applicants): How Old Were You When You Applied?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How Old Were You When You Applied/Matriculated?

• Total voters

2thDMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to get a general idea about age range(s) for students that Apply/Matriculate to DS.

Also (if applicable....to get a better overall picture):
  1. Science GPA? (*)
  2. # of DAT attempts?
  3. Most Recent DAT Score - TS and AA (*)
  4. # of Schools Applied To?
  5. # of Schools Interviewed?
  6. # of Offers?
  7. (*) Optional....based on the following criteria:
    1. If your GPA was below a 3.5, and/or
    2. You got a DAT category score in the teens (which category?), I have a follow-up question...
      1. QUESTION: Was there something special about your background / personal statement that really put you over the top?....ie: "When I wasn't busy rearing my 7 siblings because my parents were drug addicts, and being the founder of the Human Genome Project, Curing Cancer in my Basement, giving TED Talks, addressing the U.N. on Human Rights Violations, speaking at the WEF in Davos, and fighting crime as Batman/Wonder Woman, I was flying back-and-forth to Africa every weekend to build clean water facilities, and locally was helping little old ladies cross the street."

I'm asking/saying all of this to simply get a better overall picture of applicants (both current, and from the recent-past), and what they are bringing/brought to the proverbial table.

I ask that everybody answer truthfully, and that the overachievers in the group be kind and courteous to those on the forum/thread who might've had different scholastic journeys/learning opportunities/learning abilities/achievements. Remember, we're all here for the same goal: to enter the health profession as Dentists and thus be able to help others.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Science GPA? 3.8
  • # of DAT attempts? 1
  • DAT Score - TS and AA? 23/23
  • # of Schools Applied To? 7
  • # of Schools Interviewed? 4
  • # of Offers? 2

Reactions: 1 user
  • Science GPA? 3.7
  • # of DAT attempts? 1
  • DAT Score - TS and AA? 21/20
  • # of Schools Applied To? 1
  • # of Schools Interviewed? 1
  • # of Offers? 1
  • Year accepted 2010: I put this because seems like getting in is more competitive now and wanted to inform that my acceptance was 10 years ago. Also, 19s on reading (52 percentile lol) and quantitative analysis (93 percentile)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
  1. Science GPA? 3.99
  2. # of DAT attempts? 1
  3. DAT Score? 25AA/24TS
  4. # of Schools Applied To? 12
  5. # of Schools Interviewed? 8 invites, attended 4
  6. # of Offers? 4

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
  • Science GPA? 3.75
  • # of DAT attempts? 1
  • DAT Score - TS and AA? 19/20
  • # of Schools Applied To? 4
  • # of Schools Interviewed? 3
  • # of Offers? 3

Science GPA? Overall gpa was 3.98 but i think science was 4
# of DAT attempts: 1
Most Recent DAT Score - I don't remember but it wasn't super good.
# of Schools Applied To? 2
# of Schools Interviewed? 1
# of Offers? 1

Science GPA? 3.7
DAT attempts: 4
Recent DAT Score- 19 AA and 19 TS
# of schools applied- 3
# of interviews? 2 (Declined one)
# of offers? 1
# of cycles to get in? 3

I was told dental schools like having older students, because:
1) the school doesn’t feel like they have to baby sit them
2) they won’t be getting drunk every weekend
3) they know what they want in life

Trying to get a general idea about age range(s) for students that Apply/Matriculate to DS.

Also (if applicable....to get a better overall picture):
  1. Science GPA? (*)
  2. # of DAT attempts?
  3. Most Recent DAT Score - TS and AA (*)
  4. # of Schools Applied To?
  5. # of Schools Interviewed?
  6. # of Offers?
  7. (*) Optional....based on the following criteria:
    2. You got a DAT category score in the teens (which category?), I have a follow-up question...
      1. QUESTION: Was there something special about your background / personal statement that really put you over the top?....ie: "When I wasn't busy rearing my 7 siblings because my parents were drug addicts, and being the founder of the Human Genome Project, Curing Cancer in my Basement, giving TED Talks, addressing the U.N. on Human Rights Violations, speaking at the WEF in Davos, and fighting crime as Batman/Wonder Woman, I was flying back-and-forth to Africa every weekend to build clean water facilities, and locally was helping little old ladies cross the street."

I'm asking/saying all of this to simply get a better overall picture of applicants (both current, and from the recent-past), and what they are bringing/brought to the proverbial table.

I ask that everybody answer truthfully, and that the overachievers in the group be kind and courteous to those on the forum/thread who might've had different scholastic journeys/learning opportunities/learning abilities/achievements. Remember, we're all here for the same goal: to enter the health profession as Dentists and thus be able to help others.

Started dental school at 31
Science GPA: 3.57
DAT attempts: 2
Recent DAT score: TS 20 and AA 19
Schools applied to: 6
Schools interviewed: 4
Offers: 3
Career changer

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
  • Science GPA? (3.7)
  • # of DAT attempts 1
  • Most Recent DAT Score - TS and AA (19AA)
  • # of Schools Applied To? 7
  • # of Schools Interviewed? 2
  • # of Offers? 1
  • (*) Optional....based on the following criteria:
      1. QUESTION: Was there something special about your background / personal statement that really put you over the top?....ie: "When I wasn't busy rearing my 7 siblings because my parents were drug addicts, and being the founder of the Human Genome Project, Curing Cancer in my Basement, giving TED Talks, addressing the U.N. on Human Rights Violations, speaking at the WEF in Davos, and fighting crime as Batman/Wonder Woman, I was flying back-and-forth to Africa every weekend to build clean water facilities, and locally was helping little old ladies cross the street. Yes, I had amazing ECs and PS (40 or so drafts). Did over 3000 volunteer hours, research, clubs, leadership, above avg rec letters etc. I think without those I wouldn't even have been considered.
I applied to dental school as a 19 year old and started at 20. now a d4 and applying for perio! anything's possible.

I was 26 when I applied. For class of 2023
  1. Science GPA? 3.2
  2. # of DAT attempts? 1
  3. Most Recent DAT Score - TS and AA 21/21 (23 RC,18PAT,16QR)
  4. # of Schools Applied To? 19
  5. # of Schools Interviewed? 7 interview offers (attended 3)
  6. # of Offers? 3
  7. (*) Optional....based on the following criteria: Had a unique(ish) major (public health), 2 year LDS mission, and attended week long dental service trip. Schools really seemed to talk about my major in all my interviews? Could care less about my LDS mission lol

1. Science GPA? (3.7)
  2. # of DAT attempts? 1
  3. Most Recent DAT Score - TS and AA (23,22)
  4. # of Schools Applied To? 13
  5. # of Schools Interviewed? 11 interview offers (attended 9)
  6. # of Offers? 7

• Science GPA? 3.76
  • # of DAT attempts? 1
  • DAT Score - TS and AA? 20/21
  • # of Schools Applied To? 12
  • # of Schools Interviewed? 9 (attended 8)
  • # of Offers? 6

Science GPA - 3.81
# of DAT attempts? - 1
DAT Score - TS and AA? 21/23
# of Schools Applied To? 14
# of Schools Interviewed? 11
# of Offers? 4

• Science GPA? Around 3.6
  • # of DAT attempts? 1
  • DAT Score - TS and AA? 24/24
  • # of Schools Applied To? A bunch
  • # of Schools Interviewed? I'm not sure, maybe around 10
  • # of Offers? 4 (2 state schools, 2 private schools including one Ivy. Ended up choosing my state school)

1. Science GPA? 3.55
  2. # of DAT attempts? 1
  3. Most Recent DAT Score - TS = 20. AA = 21
  4. # of Schools Applied To? 5
  5. # of Schools Interviewed? 2
  6. # of Offers? 1
Started school at 24

• Science GPA? 4.0
  • # of DAT attempts? 1
  • DAT Score - TS and AA? 23/23
  • # of Schools Applied To? 3
  • # of Schools Interviewed? 1
  • # of Offers? 1
I finished a Communications degree in 2014, changed my entire career path in 2017 towards Dentistry (so had to take all of my science pre-reqs). And had a lot of Dental experience by working my way up a Dentist office for the past 3 years.