DU PsyD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s0ccer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I am currently looking at DU's PsyD in Clinical Psychology. Are there any current students who can provide some insight as to the overall experience of the program!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there

I also got into Denver. Still deciding, as I'm not sure they will give me fin aid. It is 180k for 3 years...what do you think of the program? I went out to visit twice bf applying. Denver is great, but then again I'm from the West (I live in DC now). Feel free to email me: [email protected]

Katie

Totally the interloper here, as my application is apparently a "soft reject" at DU -- but 180k for three years? What does that cover? Surely it's not all tuition, fees, materials, and related academic expenses....do you get a rolex at graduation?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there

I also got into Denver. Still deciding, as I'm not sure they will give me fin aid. It is 180k for 3 years...what do you think of the program?...

:eek:

I also got into Denver. Still deciding, as I'm not sure they will give me fin aid. It is 180k for 3 years

I'm in the same boat -- really hoping they offer me some financial aid.

For clarification, DU's financial aid office estimates all of a students' expenses for 3 years to be 180k -- that includes tuition, books, rent, health care, etc. DU costs $961/credit, which at 135 credits comes to 130k for just tuition. This cost (about 30k higher than other schools) is somewhat offset because DU has an accelerated, 4 year, program. So you can be earning a salary for a whole year while students at 5+ year programs are still accruing debt. But I still think its comes out to being quite a bit more expensive than most schools.

I was very impressed by the program, the faculty, and the students at DU, BUT I'm still hesitating because I'm struggling to justify its cost.

Does anyone else have any thoughts/comments on DU's PsyD program?

I personally loved the program. I visited once in the fall and then on interview day. I kept in touch with a student after I found them on facebook who really gave me a broad as well as detailed view of the program. I also met some of the professors and interviewed them back in Sept and really liked what they had to say. I also love the idea of moving to Denver. Originally from Seattle, transplant to LA for undergrad, and I feel I'm ready to move somewhere new that's got the medium city feel. Can't beat the decrease in cost of living either:) I really like the idea of taking classes in other departments, the 40 hr diversity requirement, the different seminars freshman year, size of the school and program etc. All the profs have their own practices on the side and I think that really adds an element of anecdotal teaching that I quite enjoy in education. The amount and comprehensive style of supervision as well as the captive internship placement opportunity are also a big plus!

There's also time to travel because they have a six week break between TG break and start of Winter Quarter in Jan so even if your practicum site asks you to work a bit longer, you still will have a significant amount of time off then as well as a few weeks here and there every few months. They also make every effort to get you clinical exposure right away, and for me, that was a huge plus! Other programs wait a year etc. I've found that this last year that I've been working in the field has been way more educational in the applicable sense than anything I learned in the classroom.
I'm definitely ready to start come fall!

Reactions: 1 user
With all due respect guys, that is just too much money. If there is anyway you can find another option, try. A less research oriented program PhD program, anything? I got into DU when I lived there and had quite a bit of savings, and I moved accross the country to a fairly rural southern town to go to a clinically oriented PhD program. I miss Colorado terribly, but I am not going to have to take out any loans. I live in a nice home with my family and am about an hour away from a very large city. It's tough, but I just don't think paying that kind of money for this degree will ever be worth it.

If you think you can swing it financially....I also spoke to a few students at the program who did tell me a few negatives. I'd be glad to share what I found out if you'd like to PM me.

If you think you can swing it financially....I also spoke to a few students at the program who did tell me a few negatives. I'd be glad to share what I found out if you'd like to PM me.

It'd be interesting to hear the negatives that you've heard about the program.

Please PM me!

Does anyone else have any thoughts/comments on DU's PsyD program?

The biggest complaint I heard from a former alumni was that the debt was incredible. They are now serving in the military, so I don't suspect that this will be a problem long term, but yes... that's a lot of money.

They didn't have anything bad to say about it other than that. All I can say is have a plan of how you intend to pay this off before you go... If you have a way to pay for it, it's easier... whether it be working at a VA/Military/Indian Reservation/Prison, marrying rich, or being independently wealthy. Just have a plan.

Mark

If were you I would edit your email address at kathryn.i.wagner at gmail dot com or pm it so as to avoid it being picked up by bots and placed on spam lists.
Yes - can you actually delete this post so my email isn't published? Thanks