Dual Accredited Residences/Internships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThePersianJew

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does any know a site/link where they list the dual accredited prgrams by state? any help would be appreiated... thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

"Is the program a dually accredited AOA/ACGME program? - No

Dual Program - Is an AOA program in which an osteopathic trainee is registered in a residency program that is accredited by both the AOA and ACGME. The osteopathic trainee receives both AOA and ACGME credit. Trainees who complete dual programs have the option to become board certified by either or both the AOA and the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS)."

The above was taken from the opportunities site. Does anyone have an Idea what this really means? The AOA surgery programs, for example, aren't dually accredited. The statement above makes it seem as if one could be board certified by either the AOA or ABMS following the completion of the AOA residency.

Anyone have a clue?

Members don't see this ad :)
How do I find dually accredited internships? The AOA opportunities website used to list internships that were both ACGME and AOA accredited, but it now lists none (probably due to the change in internship classification last July). This is obviously incorrect, since several institutions offer internships that are dually accredited. I wanted to know if there was a central database where I could find these, rather than going through each internship website manually?

"Is the program a dually accredited AOA/ACGME program? - No

Dual Program - Is an AOA program in which an osteopathic trainee is registered in a residency program that is accredited by both the AOA and ACGME. The osteopathic trainee receives both AOA and ACGME credit. Trainees who complete dual programs have the option to become board certified by either or both the AOA and the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS)."

The above was taken from the opportunities site. Does anyone have an Idea what this really means? The AOA surgery programs, for example, aren't dually accredited. The statement above makes it seem as if one could be board certified by either the AOA or ABMS following the completion of the AOA residency.

Anyone have a clue?

I don't know why this trips so many people up. 'Is the program dually certified?- NOOOOOOOOOOOO. It says right there, then below it, the site gives a definition of what being a dually certified program means for those who are curious. If it was dually certified it would says 'Is the program dually certified? - YES.

It means that if you do g-surg, it's AOA, and you are certified by the American Osteopathic College of Surgeons, not the American College of Surgeons. However, if you do a dually accredited FP program you can be BC in Osteopathic FP and ACGME FP.

I can't even explain how many threads have been created by people misreading the dual thing.

Well finally it makes sense. The only thing I didn't understand was that the statement was a definition only.

Thanks for the clarification.