Dual British/American citizen- Can I apply in Canada?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ronathan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey out there in Medical School Land,

I have a question about citizenship and applying to foreign schools. My specific situation (details below) involves being a dual citizen, but I hope this discussion can be useful for others who want to apply abroad as well.

So here is what's up with me: I am an American citizen, but I also have British citizenship via my mother. I got the passport and everything. During a brainstorming/strategy session where we were trying to settle on what medical schools to apply to, my family and I came up with the idea of applying to some schools in Canada as well as the schools already on my list that are here in the US.

My question is, as a British citizen (which is technically what I am), am I eligible to apply to a Canadian school, e.g. McGill or Universite de Montreal? Obviously I can apply as an American, in which case I would get lumped in with the "International Students" pile. But if I applied as a Brit, would that put me in the same pile as actual Canadian citizens? What are the rules/laws about that? Are British citizens equivalent to Canadians with regard to college admission?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't believe so - you're stuck with the rest of us internationals when it comes to med admissions, regardless of your citizenship in a Commonwealth country, because you are not a Canadian citizen. :)