Dual Canadian-American citizen, Medical school in Canada and applying to residency in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MTL McDougall

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and have looked over previous topics and couldn't find one that matched this exact situation, so I thought I'd go and post it.

I am a dual Canadian-American citizen and am completing my medical education at McGill University (Canada). I'll be writing my USMLE and am hoping to apply for a US residency spot in Internal Medicine. Assuming I do well on the USMLE (fingers crossed), how are my chances for matching to a strong hospital in IM in the United States, compared to an American citizen who went to medical school in the US? Does my US citizenship put me on equal par or does a Canadian medical school put me at disadvantage?

Also, should I look into doing some internships in the US in 4th year and over that summer?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

As an American citizen attending a LCME accredited medical school with a good reputation, you will be equal par with American citizens trained at other LCME schools.

You may consider doing electives during your 4th year in the US to feel more comfortable with US medical practice but I'm not sure its necessary.

The application process wont put you at a disadvantage, but canadian med schools are much less geared towards USMLE.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
canadian med schools are much less geared towards USMLES since Pharm, Path, and Physio are enough to pass the MCCQE.

I don't understand what you mean by that. Why are we less geared to the USMLES? We do Pharm and Path too.

My current attending went to school in Canada then did residency here.. so it can be done

Thank you guys for the help! Makes sense Imnotfromjersey, pretty helpful info. I haven't done my USMLE Step 1 yet so I can't say whether or not my score will be high enough for me to confidently skip CaRMS for NRMP. Should I end up doing my residency in Canada, what would I have to do to practice in the US afterwards? Are there any equivalencies that I need to do for my specialty to be recognized? Example, if I completed, say, a cardiology residency in Canada and then moved to the US, would I be recognized as a cardiologist?