Dual certification Fam/Int Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lateness

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anyone who was dual certified in family medicine and internal med? I am already in Fam med but am thinking I would like to continue when im done. I assume you can receive credit for at least a year of internal med but i have heard that the same program will not grant you sometimes b/c of funding issues?

Members don't see this ad.

bafootchi said:
the same program will not grant you sometimes b/c of funding issues?

right. as a current resident, you are currently using all of "your" funding. so a program that would take you into their IM program would probably have to pay you out of their own "pocket" instead of the "resident salary pool", which is a HUGE minus/disadvantage for them unless you are 'extraordinary' for some reason OR if you go somewhre that undesirable for one reason or another.

that's how i've come to udnerstand it, anyway.

why do you want to get boarded in internal med? jsut curious :)

good luck!

ramonaquimby said:
right. as a current resident, you are currently using all of "your" funding. so a program that would take you into their IM program would probably have to pay you out of their own "pocket" instead of the "resident salary pool", which is a HUGE minus/disadvantage for them unless you are 'extraordinary' for some reason OR if you go somewhre that undesirable for one reason or another.

that's how i've come to udnerstand it, anyway.

why do you want to get boarded in internal med? jsut curious :)

good luck!

Hi. well i was just curious, b/c i met a doctor who was like that a while ago. but at the time never asked him why or how he did that. i dont want to be boarded in int med, its too boring.. :laugh:

bafootchi said:
i met a doctor who was like that a while ago. but at the time never asked him why or how he did that.

He may have gone to one of several combined IM/FP residencies. Click here for more information from the ABIM.