1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Dual certification Fam/Int Med

Discussion in 'Family Medicine' started by lateness, Dec 13, 2005.

1. lateness

lateness Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Does anyone know anyone who was dual certified in family medicine and internal med? I am already in Fam med but am thinking I would like to continue when im done. I assume you can receive credit for at least a year of internal med but i have heard that the same program will not grant you sometimes b/c of funding issues?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ramonaquimby

ramonaquimby I'm a PGY3?! WHAT?!
    5+ Year Member

right. as a current resident, you are currently using all of "your" funding. so a program that would take you into their IM program would probably have to pay you out of their own "pocket" instead of the "resident salary pool", which is a HUGE minus/disadvantage for them unless you are 'extraordinary' for some reason OR if you go somewhre that undesirable for one reason or another.

that's how i've come to udnerstand it, anyway.

why do you want to get boarded in internal med? jsut curious :)

good luck!

4. lateness

lateness Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

Hi. well i was just curious, b/c i met a doctor who was like that a while ago. but at the time never asked him why or how he did that. i dont want to be boarded in int med, its too boring.. :laugh:

5. Blue Dog

Blue Dog Fides et ratio.
    Physician Gold Donor SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    He may have gone to one of several combined IM/FP residencies. Click here for more information from the ABIM.