1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Dual degree and no flames

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Bharat, Jun 22, 2001.

1. Bharat

Bharat Junior Member

Deleted... You guys are right. Stop the worrying and start just living life. It really doesn't matter in the long run I guess.

the rat

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ILoveThaiFood

ILoveThaiFood Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

You know, I'm predicting that there will be some "stop bragging" posts coming up. Really, 3.95/39R + research experience and you're WORRIED about getting into an MD/PhD program in a top-10 school? You're the last person who should be asking for this type of advice. Stop worrying and invest your energy in doing something more productive, like writing an essay on why you want to be in an MD/PhD program.

4. relentless11

relentless11 Going broke and loving it
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i'm getting that migraine again. the same migraine when someone gets something in the 30's let alone nearly 40's on the MCAT :) i'll stop here :)............

5. moo

moo 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

take out the h and take out the a and what do you get? BRAT

6. together

together Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Simplicity deceives even the fool.

7. dude7

dude7 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Bharat dawg, now come on here. YOu know you have excellent scores and everything. There honestly was no need to ask that "stupid Question" on my mind. IF you really think you have a shot, just go ahead and apply.Your 39 Mcat score should tell you that.

8. Bharat

Bharat Junior Member

Yeah, I realize this. You have heard of all the horror stories of applicants tho. 40 MCAT, 4.0, etc. etc. etc. Is there a diff between 39 and 40? (Except for the 1 pt?) Do they care? This is REALLY AN HONEST QUESTION!!!!! THx

:confused:

9. Hopkins2010

Hopkins2010 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Dont worry about the MCAT/GPA. You are above the average matriculant numbers for every MD/PhD program in teh country that I'm aware of (I think the avg. MCAT is 34 or so).

That being said, do you have alot of research experience? If you want to go to a top 10 research school, I would recommend having at least 2 years of research experience and some publications under your belt. If you dont get into one of the top 10 MD/PhD programs it wont be because of your numbers, it will be because of any lack of research experience or character traits (displayed in interview) you might not have.

10. fishtolive

fishtolive Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i mean really...if you ask stuff like that, you need to be in a lab somewhere far away from patients. sorry!

11. moo

moo 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

oh Bharat, if you're for real, shut the f--- up and get a life! Better yet, don't enter medicine because I'm sick and tired of hearing about assholes like you. You should listen to yourself: "Is there a diff between 39 and 40? Oh NO Harvard's gonna think I'm a twit for scoring one point below the MAGICAL 40."

12. Start looking for other options! haha.
    Apply and your in.

"The world needs ditch-diggers too."
    quote from unnamed person...

13. Tom Cruise

Tom Cruise Junior Member

A liitle bit off, but you might want to watch the trial of Dirk Greineder, MD.,PhD., on Court TV. He went to Yale, 4 years BS, then Case W. 6 years. for his degrees.

He seems to have done well in school, but had too much time on his hands when it was over. His position, I think, was at Brighams hospital in Allergy med.

IMO It is better to get a MD. and then do as much research as you want. You don't need a PhD. You need to learn research design and adv, Stats. GL Tom

14. Tom Cruise

Tom Cruise Junior Member

I forget to mention: publish as a student. I did that, with some help. There are different types of journals and it seems that most of what is written, is published.

Some students start publishing while in school. You have the best resources there and hopefully, help if you need it. GL Tom

15. relentless11

relentless11 Going broke and loving it
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Since we're on the subject of publishing, i have a question about what positive effects can i get from being a co-author for a medical text. Well not for the whole book just for a chapter.

And how would i throw this in, is htere a spot on the AMCAS where i can mention this?

16. Hopkins2010

Hopkins2010 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Well it certainly wont hurt. I'm not sure how much it would help, but at least its something.

Under the AMCAS post secondary experiences section, there should be a drop down list option for publications, so yes you can enter it on AMCAS.