Dual-Degree Options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbkoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey, everyone. i was recently looking into dual-degree programs that would offer a MSW+MPH. however, i would most like to become licensed to practice therapy directly after, so i'm wondering if the MSW would provide a strong enough clinical experience (the MPH is more for extra flexibility and interest...i figure an extra year, why not). i'm particularly interested in UC Berkeley. any info is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to practice therapy - select the program that gives you the most coursework in counseling theories, techniques, interventions, strategies. A good program will have you practicing "being a listener" or "being a helper" from your first semester. Check out the clinical placements and the number of direct group and one on one hours of therapy that you will be expected to provide to meet the degree requirements. The better training programs require that you video tape all your work and allow ample time for your professors to review your work with you.

I did not select the MSW track - but there are several here on this forum who did who can speak to that.

I chose a program that had an intense clinical training component - CHMC.

Becoming a therapist is a process - nothing to rush through. With the dual degree - even with the extra year - the program is going to pack in a lot.

Talk to their dual degree grads who have gone on to become therapists and see what their experiences have been and how well they feel their coursework prepared them for the work.

makes sense, hopefully i can find some good dual-degree programs that still focus heavily on a clinical track haha