Dual Degree Person Confused!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medlaw06

Just Medicine
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all.

I am new to this forum. A friend of mine had told me about this site, and here I am! :)

In any case, I had a quick question and I am hoping that someone can help. I am currently in LAW SCHOOL, but have completed my first 2 years of medical school and have passed USMLE Step 1. I will be finishing law school by end of July, and start my med rotations in August.

I DEFINITELY WANT TO GO INTO IM, and have already contacted a few institutions about their programs.

My question to you is this:

Aside from the medical degree, will having a law degree HURT my chances at a program when I am applying?

I realize that my question sounds strange. At a cursory glance, it IS a strange question. However, the reason why I ask is because I have heard from a few physicians that my law background and degree will be an impediment since I will have to follow legal principles as a practicing physician. My response was: "And NOT having a JD precludes me from following legal principles as a practicing physician!?!" I guess their point was that being a lawyer as well as a physician will compel me to "police" my colleagues and "report" them to some higher authority if something goes wrong. I have taken Porfessional Responsibility and Legal Ethics, and there is a duty to report CRIMINAL activities (and certain civil activities too), but don't have to REPORT negligence (an unintentional act), per se.

I had initially thought that having a JD will bolster my application. I am not so sure anymore!

What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just guessing, but my guess is that your JD will have no bearing on your acceptance into a program. It'll be one of those things they look at and say, Hmmm interesting... but I doubt someone will accept/reject you solely because you went to law school, or play chess, or run 10 miles a day. My guess is that it will be more about Board scores, grades, personal statement, recs, and interviews (fit, ethic), just like everyone else.

As far as what a few physicians are speculating, don't listen to them. Remember, physicians spend so much time in the hospital that they become ******ed when asked to have a normal, rational conversation outside of interpreting lab values. Worrying about being policed? Please. Doctors fear what they don't understand: 1) The Law and 2) The Market Economy... so take their word as just barber shop talk.