Dual degree programs and their benefits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyEyesMesmerize

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to list some currently offered dual degree programs and was looking for input as to what each is suited for or what the outlook is for each. Thanks for any info.

MD/PhD

MD/MPH

MD/MBA

MD/MHA

MD/JD

MD/MPA

Members don't see this ad.

While you guys are at it, could you do the same for the following careers?

Accountant
Lawyer
Firefighter
Cowboy
Fluffer
Cynic
Thespian

Thanks in advance!:clap:

Hope that Helps.

P 'Just Curious!' ShankOut

I think the idea of DD programs is flawed in that you will eventually come to consider yourself either a doctor or an attorney, hospitla administrator, accountant, & etc. and work in that capacity.

Take the MD/JD option; you will either work as a doctor with knowledge of the law or as an attorney with knowledge of medicine (likely representing health care workers). I really doubt that you will ever have to ask a judge to reschedule a hearing becasue you have appointments begining at 2 or advise some criminal of his rights after he is brought to the ER after getting roughed up by the cops. If all those letters behind your name make you feel better about yourself then go for it otherwise free up a spot for somebody in either law school or medical school by going to the other. Sorry, these just don't make much sense to me. Peace.

Members don't see this ad :)
:laugh: :laugh: Shank Master!
Originally posted by indianboy
While you guys are at it, could you do the same for the following careers?

Accountant
Lawyer
Firefighter
Cowboy
Fluffer
Cynic
Thespian

Thanks in advance!:clap:

Hope that Helps.

P 'Just Curious!' ShankOut

Originally posted by MyEyesMesmerize
I'm going to list some currently offered dual degree programs and was looking for input as to what each is suited for or what the outlook is for each. Thanks for any info.

MD/PhD

MD/MPH

MD/MBA

MD/MHA

MD/JD

MD/MPA

DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT do dual degree just so you can have more post-nominal letters. It'll just waste your time and money.

That said,

MD/PhD - mainly refers to a MD and a PHD in a basic science field (but could also be a PHD in the humanities, health care policy, etc.) Physician scientist are exposed to both the bench work and the clinical care aspect. While doing benchwork, their clinical perspective might be helpful, and while doing clinical, their understanding of basic science (and current literature about the basic science behind their speciality) might give them a broader understanding. Sometimes MD/PHD are tapped to run programs that try to bridge the gap between bench and clinical work, due to their unique training. Expect an additional 3-to-infinity years to complete the PHD aspect.

MD/MPH - master of public health. Basically for those who want to have a better understanding of epidemiology, biostatistics, effects of policy issues, and the differences between case studies and case control (trohoc). Basically prepares you for large scale medicine - so instead of worrying about a patient in a ward, you are worrying about an entire group or community. Ideal for those interested in working for FDA, CDC, health policy panels, etc. Expect an additional 0-2 years to your schooling (depends on program)

MD/MBA - physician managers. Good physicians are sometimes bad at handling money and economics. Different focus, different goals, different values. MD/MBA programs will teach you to view health care from a business model - learning about different types of risks, cost-effective measures, and compare different life-saving programs in terms of cost per life year saved. MD/MBA are great for those who want to handle large scale economics, such as hospital administrators, HMO, pharmaceuticals, health policy panels, etc. Do not do MD/MBA just so you can learn how to better run a private practice, because you'll learn about the business of health care in a larger context than private practice. Expect an additional 0-2 years to your schooling (depends on program).

MD/MHA - Physician-Health Care Administrator. MHA programs will provide you with the education needed to be in a managerial position in a health care setting - hospitals, private practice, managed care, nursing homes, etc. Basically it's like a combination between MBA and MPH. You'll learn about the health care system, managerial principles, team building skills, analytical and problem resolution methods and skills. Expect an additional 0-2 years to your schooling (again, depends on the program).

MD-JD. WORTHLESS

MD/MPA. MPA programs are designed to bring together the private and public sectors. Basically you learn how to develop policy that is best for your target audience and the long term impact/implication of your policy. I really don't know enough about MD/MPA to say any more. Look on school's website for more information.

OK, need to find something else to do to fight my insomnia

what about tri-degree programs?

hehe...

Moneyless, BS, MBA, MPH, MD

coooool...

Originally posted by Moneyless
Moneyless, BS, MBA, MPH, MD

Northwestern told me I could get my MD/PhD/MPH all in 8 years. Just what I need, more letters!

In any case, thank you for your excellent post group_theory. The only point I would like to add is that most MD/PhD programs are fully-funded with a stipend, so that you come out of medical school owing nothing. Also, MD/PhDs get pretty much whatever residency they want. On the other hand, don't do it if you dislike research, because besides the goal of producing people who want to do at least some research, 3 - 4 years of basic science will kill you if you really don't want to be in it!

I like the rundown Group_theory gave. I am currently in graduate school getting my MPA and I am applying to a medical program hopefully with a MD/MPH focus.

I chose the MPA as a sorta of last minute thing after I found that I will not be getting off any of the waitlists I was on last year. But I find if kinda interesting now....the policy aspect.

I want the MPH (hopefully in international health, if not then) in biostat. I would like to work for a corporation like that listed in GP's summary or something more global.

I think you have to know what you want to do first then see what degree you need to achieve that goal. You can't get a degree and then think about what you want to do with it later.

If you have some "master plan" for what you will use your MD/JD degree for, then by all means go for it. But if you have no clue, then just do the MD.

i've heard MD/JD's are useful if you want to do something in Medical Ethics

also, there's no reason to think that after you get a dual degree, your career needs to be one-or-the-other.

i fully intend to get an MD/MPH and be a part time clinician and part time public health researcher. it can definitely be done. i work with several of them and they seem to have very happy, well-balanced careers.

i think my physician-perspective will really enhance the research i do . . . and my involvement in research, and learning what is cutting edge in preventative medicine and health care quality, will help me take better care of my patients!

Originally posted by group_theory
MD-JD. WORTHLESS

Well, not really worthless, but not practical for the average person. Most people who go this route end up working as attorneys doing consulting work in a healthcare field, ie for the CDC, Medicare committees, medical ethics (like Banannie said) etc.