Dual Enrollment Bringing Me Down...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eagb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The high school I attended was part of a university. As such, almost every class I took my final 2 years of high school counted as a university course, even though they were taught by high school teachers in the high school. I didn't do so well in those, (GPA: 3.52). I've since started college and I'm a sophomore now. My grades have been much better (BCMP GPA: 3.85 Overall GPA: 3.94). I know AMCAS is going to factor in my high school/Dual enrollment grades, but is there someway I can designate that these were taken while I was in high school? How much are my high school grades going to bring down the rest of my grades? Or, will med school adcoms know to recalculate and assess my actual undergrad GPA separately? Basically, I don't exactly know how AMCAS will report my GPA, and that's what I'm trying to figure out.

Members don't see this ad.

is there someway I can designate that these were taken while I was in high school?

How much are my high school grades going to bring down the rest of my grades? Or, will med school adcoms know to recalculate and assess my actual undergrad GPA separately? Basically, I don't exactly know how AMCAS will report my GPA, and that's what I'm trying to figure out.

The AMCAS transcript allows you to designate when a class was taken in HS. This is how the grade summary will appear to adcomms: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/attachments/screen-shot-2011-07-04-at-1-03-14-pm-jpg.17272/

Schools have different policies on how they weight the various years or otherwise manipulate the data with which they're provided, and are rarely transparent about how this is done. An upward grade trend is noticed though, and will be to your benefit.

Reactions: 1 user
I...don't see how any med school would know your high school had dual enrollment if you didn't report it. If you took the classes in high school at a high school, then it's high school. Just don't report it. There IS such thing as too much honesty.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apart from the whole honesty and integrity thing, it probably has his prerequisites, so he wants to send in the transcript...

How do YOU view HS Dual Enrollment grades? If I got about 4 B's, in dual enrollment, out of about 10 classes, but had an upward trend Freshman year, would you sort of ignore the HS grades, or no?

I...don't see how any med school would know your high school had dual enrollment if you didn't report it. If you took the classes in high school at a high school, then it's high school. Just don't report it. There IS such thing as too much honesty.

Because along with your high school, you are also enrolled at the same time at your community college/4 year college for DE. So this is like taking CC classes during the summer. No one in their right might would omit the grade, even if it's bad, because the consequence for the real possibility of getting busted is even worse.

Because along with your high school, you are also enrolled at the same time at your community college/4 year college for DE. So this is like taking CC classes during the summer. No one in their right might would omit the grade, even if it's bad, because the consequence for the real possibility of getting busted is even worse.
Oh..I didn't know that's how dual enrollment worked. Nvm then. Tough tits..

Yeah...I'm more or less banking on the fact that I'm doing quite well in my actual undergrad years. I didn't use any of those high school courses to place into higher ones either, except Biology, but I've taken Physiology and Ecology as higher level bio electives to cancel that out (also I'm a neuro major, so lots of neurobiology courses). I'll probably just hope that most adcoms focus on what I did in college with actual professors, and I might include a note explaining how my high school worked. Like I said, these courses were taught by regular high school teachers, who quite frankly weren't always the most qualified.

Medical schools know which classes you took in high school. What they do with that information, I have no idea. I took 50 credits of college classes in high school, and those classes bring my cGPA down by 0.1. Just have to work with what you have.

Yeah...I'm more or less banking on the fact that I'm doing quite well in my actual undergrad years. I didn't use any of those high school courses to place into higher ones either, except Biology, but I've taken Physiology and Ecology as higher level bio electives to cancel that out (also I'm a neuro major, so lots of neurobiology courses). I'll probably just hope that most adcoms focus on what I did in college with actual professors, and I might include a note explaining how my high school worked. Like I said, these courses were taught by regular high school teachers, who quite frankly weren't always the most qualified.

Don't go there. Making those kinds of excuses for YOUR poor performance will not score you any points with the adcoms. Your past is what it is. You can't change it, you can only do your best moving forward & hope that everything will work out.

Reactions: 4 users
I'll probably just hope that most adcoms focus on what I did in college with actual professors, and I might include a note explaining how my high school worked. Like I said, these courses were taught by regular high school teachers, who quite frankly weren't always the most qualified.

Do not say this to an ad com, it is flat out making excuses. The teachers should not have changed your grade. I took almost 50 hours of college credit, all taught by high school teachers. It was a great advantage for me when I started college.

I am sorry you wasted the opportunity to get good college grades while in high school. Plenty of other people managed to get As in those types of classes, you're just naming excuses for yourself. Own up to it, you need to realize that you didn't put the effort forth to get god grades and you know that now. Adcoms won't accept any other response.

It will also show up at Student Clearinghouse as if you attended there so omitting it would just be a stupid move altogether no matter how unscrupulous a person is. I know this because I've seen my own record there and my HS dual enrollment college shows up as if I attended.

But AMCAS does designate each year you took courses (HS, Fresh, Soph etc) and usually Adcoms ignore HS because it is seen as an easy grade inflator. I'm sure if you continue to excel all 4 years then the HS grades will seem less important.