Dual enrollment in college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xjackster

:D
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to take Physics. However, all the seats at my university are full (for fall semester). I want to take Physics at a CC in addition to my university courses. Would that be a problem when I apply to pharmacy schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I need to take Physics. However, all the seats at my university are full (for fall semester). I want to take Physics at a CC in addition to my university courses. Would that be a problem when I apply to pharmacy schools?

I don't think that may be a good idea. Adcom might think that you are just trying to avoid taking the Physics class at your university instead. Why not take the class in the Spring?

I would say it depends on your school, I know a lot of people that did that and they had no problem getting into their school of choice. I went to CC for all my pre-reqs and got into my school with no problem. Call the Student Affairs office for the pharmacy school you are looking into and ask them if that would pose a problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a dual enrollment student also & I have the same problem with physics. The classes were taken before I could even blink. What i'll do is just wait.

I think that you should either wait to take it or take it at the CC which wouldn't be a problem.

I don't think that may be a good idea. Adcom might think that you are just trying to avoid taking the Physics class at your university instead. Why not take the class in the Spring?

Good point. That never crossed my mind..

It shouldn't be a problem to take physics or your non-science classes at a CC. I had taken physics at a CC when I was pre-pharm. Just make sure that the physics course is one that the college of pharmacy you apply to will accept. I would advise taking your core science classes such as chemistry and biology at your university though.

It shouldn't be a problem..make sure you get an A. I know many people who took ALL of their prereqs at a CC without going to university and got in even without all As...i say you should be fine...as long as you are not making a habit of taking the hard classes at CC and the easier ones at your university. Good luck!

I took both semesters of physics at two different CCs, and I got into every school of my choice. It would be important that you do very well, though, especially if you are taking everything else at a 4 year university. As style said, definitely be sure that the school(s) you are applying to will accept that specific course in physics before you take it at the CC. My advisor actually TOLD us to not take physics at the university, but to take it at the local CC.
It really depends on the school, but I haven't really ever heard of an instance where it was an issue if you took a class at a CC.

I also did the dual enrollment for one of my prerequisites and it was not a problem at all. My school (UW) didn't care if the classes were taken at a cc or a university. What matters is how you do in them. People always think a university is harder than a cc but I have had some of my hardest classes at cc and some of the ones I have taken at a 4 year university have been easier. It all depends on your teacher.

I'm doing a dual enrollment for the last two days of my undergrad degree and the first two days of my pharmacy school. I have a final in the undergrad and mandatory orientation at pharm school. Something to ponder over when dual enrolling. I got it worked out though. :thumbup:

How about triple enrollment... I did that last semester and everything turned out fine.