Dual Enrollment in Different Cities: Would this negatively affect my application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polyploidy516

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I would really appreciate your advice on a situation.

As I am planning on taking 2 courses in New York City (at Columbia and CUNY) and 3 in Boston (Harvard Extension), I would really like to know if adcoms would view this dual-enrollment in a negative light. I specifically did this as i lived in New York City and took the bus from NYC to boston 2 nights a week (classes were offered at night)/the commute was about 4 hours each way.

Specifically I decided to take these classes at Harvard extension because I went to a prestigious undergrad/wanted to take more courses at a school equivalent to my school/higher. Additionally, as I am low on finances--am a low income/disadvantaged applicant-- i thought Harvard extension was a bargain/the professors videotaped their classes; thus, whenever i would miss a class, I would view the recorded lecture. However, i tried not to miss too many classes/went to Boston. Additionally, the courses were not distance learning but were distance option, meaning you could either come to campus ( i did 75% of time for exams, etc) or view lectures/do the work at home then take the exam on campus.

I would really like to know whether dual enrollment in two schools (both ivys) in two different cities would negatively affect my med school application especially if i do well (4.0 in these courses). As I am planning on applying to top tiers, I really want to make my application as competitive as possible for these schools.

Insight from catalystik and others would be grately appreciated. Thank you once again.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't imagine that AdComs would look down upon taking courses at two different institutions. So long as you do well in all of your classes, where you took them is really an irrelevant detail (assuming the schools are reputable, which they are in this case). If you are probed on your unorthodox strategy during an interview I think the reasons mentioned above would suffice.

Did you do this already? You said you are planning to do it but you talk like you have already done it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate your response asagacious.
gmcguitar4: I apologize for the confusion; Im currently registered for these courses for the spring 2012 semester.

Any further responses/clarifications would be truly appreciated. Thank you once again for everything!

Why can't you just take these classes at Columbia or NYU if you are worried about prestige? No one is going to be more impressed that you took courses through Harvard Extension over Columbia, if they care about these things at all. That cuts out the travel issue as well.

I definitely agree with what youre saying. The thing is though, the classes that I wanted to take at Harvard only met once a week/when I calculated the differences in the travel costs, etc, it ended up being more reasonable (by $1500); thus, I felt that this was the best option .