Dual military? Looking for perspective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qurmish

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am prior service (army) and looking very seriously at applying to the HPSP. My significant other is an army ROTC cadet on an education delay for law school and will be commissioning four years from now. She will be in the service two years before I finish medical school.

I am looking for anyone that may have either gone through a similar scenario or knows of anyone first hand that did. I am familiar with the married army couples program and read through the relevant section in AR 614-200, but am still pretty leery about the whole process. Does anyone have any idea how this might play out as far as getting stationed together during my residency training (assuming that I would do an in service residency program)? I have never actually known anyone that was in the medical corps who was married to somebody else in the service. Is it likely going to be an absolute nightmare trying to coordinate finding a vacancy for her (in the JAG corps, potentially) where I will need to be for training?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you do an active duty residency it should NOT be that hard. Most training programs are at bigger posts
and most likely have plenty of JAG work. The MTFs themselves surely have a couple of lawyers advising the commander. You would be separated during your last two years of medical school more than likely.

If you do an active duty residency it should NOT be that hard. Most training programs are at bigger posts
and most likely have plenty of JAG work. The MTFs themselves surely have a couple of lawyers advising the commander. You would be separated during your last two years of medical school more than likely.

Seen more than my share of dual military medical couples that were separated for substantial periods of time. If we can't keep medical types together, I wouldn't be confident of being able to keep anyone together. You need to be ok with the risk of several years apart.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seen more than my share of dual military medical couples that were separated for substantial periods of time. If we can't keep medical types together, I wouldn't be confident of being able to keep anyone together. You need to be ok with the risk of several years apart.

Agreed. You'll be more likely to be together if both in uniform, but it's far from a given.

Also, I don't understand how one can be an ROTC on an educational delay in law school. It's either an ROTC cadet in college or a reserve commissioned officer in law school on an educational delay, no? Just trying to figure out the timing.

Agreed. You'll be more likely to be together if both in uniform, but it's far from a given.

Also, I don't understand how one can be an ROTC on an educational delay in law school. It's either an ROTC cadet in college or a reserve commissioned officer in law school on an educational delay, no? Just trying to figure out the timing.

This is a fair point. The non-military spouse with a professional career might even be more challenging than the dual military situation.

My wife and I are dual military medical. However we are different service. So far separated 1 out of the 4 years of my payback. Looking at getting reunited after 2 years but not guaranteed. If you both plan on making a career in the military you will be guaranteed being separated at some point.

things that would be going for you-- dual military same service (civilian spouses aren't taken into consideration), most MEDCENS have their own JAG offices, and even small MTF's have post related JAG offices. early on when you are generalists, more options would be on the table.

things going against-- the military is a fickle beast. if your goals and missions align, great. if not, it will be a year or two apart. i've seen this more with heterogenous (line unit/medical) situations than with medical/medical, but the potential remains. and, should you decide to subspecialize (either of you) the needs of that subspecialty may not jive with colocation. Ie, they need you in billet A in hawaii, they need her in billet B in san antonio. This is less of an issue with more generalized docs.

it's a tough thing to predict. it's not a nightmare per se but definitely will take good communication with your assignments folks and some adaptability on you and your wife's part-- both potentially personally and even professionally depending on your goals.

good luck, keep us posted

--your friendly neighborhood dual military dual GI bill transferring caveman

My wife and I are dual military medical. However we are different service. So far separated 1 out of the 4 years of my payback. Looking at getting reunited after 2 years but not guaranteed. If you both plan on making a career in the military you will be guaranteed being separated at some point.
How about if both Dr’s were in the same force, like Navy? Better chance of staying together?

How about if both Dr’s were in the same force, like Navy? Better chance of staying together?
Both navy, both physicians? Very high likelihood of staying together for standard orders if you are flexible in your duty locations. Obviously deployments create separation and during FTOS fellowship years there is a higher likliehood of being separated.

Yes if same service much better chance due to couple's match.