1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Dual Residencies

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by LumberJack, Apr 19, 2007.

1. LumberJack

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Could anyone please explain how obtaining a dual residency would affect incentive pay/board-certified pay? For example, because I will have earned an MPH in epidemiology before attending medical school, the time it would take for me to do a preventive medicine residency is pretty short. My mentor was a career Army doc, and was board-certified in both internal medicine as well as preventive medicine (I'd ask him this question, but he's out of the country).

Does anyone have any idea how this would work in general for the military? If there is a difference between services, please elaborate--I'm primarily interested in the Army.

I appreciate your help.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. colbgw02

colbgw02 Delightfully Tacky
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You won't get paid double for being double-boarded, even if you're actively practicing both specialties.

Your mentor wouldn't be Dr. J. Johnson, would it?

4. LumberJack

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Maybe you're pulling my leg with some obscure reference that I'm not catching, but no...I do not know this "J. Johnson."

But since I see that you went to UASOM, maybe you're referring to a doc in the Bham area? By the way, how did UAB treat you? I've only been a grad student for a few months now, but I'm impressed with the volume of research the university has going on.

5. militarymd

militarymd SDN Angel
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You choose the ISP you want and go with it... the military won't give you both...even if you practice both.

I was boarded in anesthesia and critical care...and I practiced both...but I was not eligible for both ISPs

I picked the gas ISP ...because it was higher.

6. colbgw02

colbgw02 Delightfully Tacky
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    No, I'm not pulling your leg. There is a professor in the medical school there by that name. He came to UAB after retiring from the army, where he was an internist and the director of an army residency program for many years. When I went through, he taught the pulmonary section of medical physiology. I figured UAB + internal medicine + army + interest in teaching/mentoring might = this person.

UAB was a very good school; the clinical years were particularly excellent. I felt like the step 1 preparation left a little to be desired in the first two years. That is, they didn't really teach to the exam. Actually, I didn't realize how good that place was until I started my residency. The quality and volume of research are remarkable, but the clinical services are top-notch as well. If you're in-state, then the choice to go there should be a no-brainer.

7. NavyFP

NavyFP Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

If you are board certified in two different specialties, you get paid for the one for which you are credentialed and practicing. That said, you can be credentialed in both and take the larger of the two ISP/MSP.

8. Gastrapathy

Gastrapathy no longer apathetic
    Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Don't count on being allowed to train in both residencies, certainly not right away. The military tends to want you to work in your job for a while before paying to retrain you, even if it would only take a year.