dual residency, can it be done?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

penn03

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if it is possible to claim residency in two states. My parents are divorced and my mom lives in TX and my dad lives in CA. I live primarily with my mom in TX (when I'm not at school in PA) but my dad contributes to my educational costs and I am covered under his insurance but he does not claim me as a dependent (I think, at least). However, my mom pays some CA taxes as she owns a house there. So, is it possible? Does anyone know the rules for this?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by penn03
I am wondering if it is possible to claim residency in two states. My parents are divorced and my mom lives in TX and my dad lives in CA. I live primarily with my mom in TX (when I'm not at school in PA) but my dad contributes to my educational costs and I am covered under his insurance but he does not claim me as a dependent (I think, at least). However, my mom pays some CA taxes as she owns a house there. So, is it possible? Does anyone know the rules for this?

Thanks

I don't know the specific rules, but I know a couple of things. . . First of all, you will only be able to be a resident of one state, not two. When you submit your primary application you must designate your state of residence.

Schools look at several things to determine residence. Some also care about different things.

The thingst that the tend to look at are

Where your parents live
Who claims you as a dependent
Where do YOU file your taxes
What high school did you attend
Where is your drivers license
Where do you go/work during the summers
etc.

Schools are all different, so you are best off asking the schools themselves. The have people who decide these things. You could do it anonymously or make up a name.

I'm not sure, unless you have your heart set on a particular California medical school, why you'd want to establish California residency. It's well-documented that California has the fewest medical school spots available per in-state graduating applicant - mdapplicants.com has about 16 CA applicants so far, and it doesn't look easy to get into one of state schools....

Members don't see this ad :)
on your amcas you can only chose one state at which you claim residency. you should be prepared to have proof that you are a resident if you will be applying to state schools.

Wow man, I dunno when you're applying, but pick one state, find its requirements and try to start satisfying them ASAP! Your situation is kinda like mine and I ended up a resident of NO state because I don't meet the requirements for either state because my divorced parents live in different states and I have been moving around alot for the past couple years.

If you want to look at the Texas residency requirements go to utexas.edu and do a search for residency. You'll get all the info you need regarding Texas laws.

Also, just to let you know, Texas has the best chance for getting into medical school if you are Texas Resident. A lot better chance than anywhere in the nation.

Originally posted by XCanadianRagwee
Also, just to let you know, Texas has the best chance for getting into medical school if you are Texas Resident. A lot better chance than anywhere in the nation.

Equally as important, Texas medical schools are cheap and the cost of living is cheap in nearly every city in the state.

just to add my experience to all the others as I was in strange residency position too. Definitely pick one and go with it so you don't end up without a state. If your mom claims you as a dependent then you can probably go with Texas, though check the rules. And UC's are very tough so you'd probably have an easier time with Texas and it sounds like you can't lose with those schools from their low cost and good reputation. That said, if you have strong scores and are really, really set on going to a UC you need CA residency to really have a shot at any of them. Then again, if your scores are great you'd have a shot at UCSF or UCLA out of state. Good luck.

Check with individual schools. I have dual NY/WI residency because I worked all last year in NY, but WI has a law that says that one is always considered a resident if they went to high school in WI. I had to claim NY as my state of residency and spoke to the dean at the Univ of WI who had to file some administrative papers to override the NY residency on my AMCAS Application. Hope that helps.