Dual State Residency When Applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Venus Islander

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Long-time forum frequenter, first time poster. Here's my situation: I live in Florida, but grew up and graduated high school in Texas, where I would eventually like to attend med school to a) save money and b) be closer to my family. I am currently considered a FL resident for tuition purposes at the university where I am taking my prerequisite science courses (I already have my bachelors), as I have been living and working here for the past year. I'll be done with prereqs by the end of summer 2008, and immediately thereafter I plan to move back to TX to re-establish residency (since I believe as long as you have lived in the state at least a year prior to a med school's first day of classes you are classified as an in-stater). However, my advisor at the prereq school told me I should also apply to FL schools as a FL resident since I technically still will be while regaining TX residency. Is this at all possible? My initial inclination is that it isn't even though I would apply to FL schools through AMCAS and TX schools through TMDSAS; residency seems to be based on where you file income tax. Granted, neither TX nor FL has a state income tax, but I will certainly list my TX address for the federal income tax I file just before (hopefully!) enrolling in med school in the fall of 2009. I'll speak with the appropriate powers-that-be in TX and FL about this for sure, but I'd love to know what y'all think as well.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.