DUI and OMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lhoffdmd10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to begin dental school and am hoping to eventually specialize in oral and maxillofacial surgery. I also recently received a DUI for a stupid choice. I would like to eventually go to a 6 year OMS program, I am going to a top dental school and had around a 3.7 GPA as an undergrad majoring in microbiology. I was wondering how much of an affect this DUI, a misdemeanor, will have on my application to OMS programs, specifically the 6 year programs, and how much it would hinder me? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Lhoffdmd10 said:
I am about to begin dental school and am hoping to eventually specialize in oral and maxillofacial surgery. I also recently received a DUI for a stupid choice. I would like to eventually go to a 6 year OMS program, I am going to a top dental school and had around a 3.7 GPA as an undergrad majoring in microbiology. I was wondering how much of an affect this DUI, a misdemeanor, will have on my application to OMS programs, specifically the 6 year programs, and how much it would hinder me? Thank you.

GR here...

Having an a conviction is not that unusual, as far as applications go. It is more important that you acknowledge it as a mistake and show that you've moved on. This being said, there will be plenty of people who will see it as a sign that you are a poor decision-maker...Four to six years is a long time to spend with someone whose decision-making process you can't trust.

GR also finds it interesting that you haven't even started dental school yet and already know that you want to do a 6-year OMFS residency...very interesting. :thumbdown:

You may have to settle for perio.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lhoffdmd10 said:
Get good grades your first two years of dental school, smoke the boards, and try not to pick up any more DUIs.

If you can manage all three of those, then then it's time to think about specializing. You're wasting your time worrying about it now.

"It was less than an ounce and I was more than 100 yards from any schools."

aphistis said:
Get good grades your first two years of dental school, smoke the boards, and try not to pick up any more DUIs.

Don't encourage him to smoke anything, that's what got him in trouble.

gary_ruska said:
GR here...

Having an a conviction is not that unusual, as far as applications go. It is more important that you acknowledge it as a mistake and show that you've moved on. This being said, there will be plenty of people who will see it as a sign that you are a poor decision-maker...Four to six years is a long time to spend with someone whose decision-making process you can't trust.

GR also finds it interesting that you haven't even started dental school yet and already know that you want to do a 6-year OMFS residency...very interesting. :thumbdown:
I went to dental school specifically to do a 6 year OMFS residency. So what?

I've also driven at times when I could have gotten a DUI. I'm not sure what I would think about it.