Dui

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mel Gibson

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
About a year and a half ago I received a DUI. I'm not proud of this, and fully explain the situation and how the experienced changed me as a person in my personal statement. I know its far from a minor blemish on my record, but do you think it will seriously hurt my chances? I'm a non-trad, just starting my college career and therefore have the potential to do very well on my classes. What kind of MCAT/GPA will I need to overcome this obstacle? I'm also planning on doing some hardcore ECs to let the adcoms know I'm serious about medicine. Also, has anyone with a DUI gotten in yet, or know of anyone who has. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

A DUI is bound to close some doors, but not all. Plenty of folks get in with DUIs. You're fortunate in that by the time you apply, it will be years in the past. Show you've learned from it and have moved on, and good lord don't get any other alcohol-related offenses between then and now.

btw, your screen name shows a great sense of humor and appreciation for irony.

I agree with notdeadyet. The time elapsed since your conviction certainly works in your favor. The key here is to be circumspect and take responsibility. I'll stop short of "turning it into a positive", but you need to be prepared to explain how you've learned from it. Years from now, we'll all be calling you Dr. Gibson. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
About a year and a half ago I received a DUI. I'm not proud of this, and fully explain the situation and how the experienced changed me as a person in my personal statement. I know its far from a minor blemish on my record, but do you think it will seriously hurt my chances? I'm a non-trad, just starting my college career and therefore have the potential to do very well on my classes. What kind of MCAT/GPA will I need to overcome this obstacle? I'm also planning on doing some hardcore ECs to let the adcoms know I'm serious about medicine. Also, has anyone with a DUI gotten in yet, or know of anyone who has. Thanks!

Tell me what you guys think about this idea--what if he calls his state school and maybe a few other schools he's interested in--and asks them what concrete things they'd like to see from him over his 4 years in college to overcome this when he applies to them.

ya, bujt I wuold avoid applying to Albert Einstein, they will likely be a little sensitive to your blatant anti-semitism following your mishap...